Magnetic Field at the Center of a Coil

In summary, to find the value of the magnetic field at the center of the coil, you need to add the magnetic fields created by the long straight wire and the flat circular coil. Using the equations B = (4pi*10^-7)I / 2R for the coil and B = (4pi*10^-7)I / 2*pi*r for the wire, and converting to gauss, the total magnetic field is 5.7 gauss. The presence of the wire does not affect the magnetic field at the center of the coil.
Dart82

Homework Statement

The radius of a single coil of wire is 0.22m. It carries a 200 A current that flows clockwise.
A long, straight wire carrying a current of 310 A toward the right is located 0.05m from the edge of the coil. What is the value of the magnetic field at the center of the coil? Answer should be in gauss. (1Tesla = 10,000 gauss)

[URL=http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledar7.png][PLAIN]http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/4757/untitledar7.th.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

Magnetic field at the center of a flat circular coil: B = (4pi*10^-7)I / 2R
Magnetic field created by a long strait wire: B = (4pi*10^-7)I / 2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

The way i think about this problem is this: I know the wire will create its own magnetic field, this field will extend into the field created by the coil, thus increasing the total magnetic field. I solved for B created by the long straight wire, then solved for the B created by the flat circular coil. Next, i added the two magnetic fields together and converted T's to g's.

Physics news on Phys.org
But doesn't conductors shield their interiors?
So, that means the outer straight wire has no effect @ the center of the coiled wire?

I'm not sure, but i know if i only calculate the field for the loop i get 5.7 gauss which is not the correct answer.

I think you are right, just add two of them because they are parallel.

What is the magnetic field at the center of a coil?

The magnetic field at the center of a coil is the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coil at its center point. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

How is the magnetic field at the center of a coil calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of a coil can be calculated using the equation B = μ0nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

Does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic field at the center?

Yes, the number of turns in a coil directly affects the strength of the magnetic field at its center. The more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

Can the direction of the current in a coil affect the magnetic field at the center?

Yes, the direction of the current in a coil can affect the direction of the magnetic field at its center. If the current flows in a clockwise direction, the magnetic field will point in one direction, and if the current flows counterclockwise, the magnetic field will point in the opposite direction.

What are some applications of the magnetic field at the center of a coil?

The magnetic field at the center of a coil has various applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in particle accelerators.