Help with History of Science Exam Question

In summary: I CORRECT IN IDENTIFYING GALILEO AS THE MATCH FOR CENTRIFUGAL FORCE?In summary, this question is challenging, but with the help of Google it can be easily solved.
kingwinner
This is a practice exam question on a course relating to the history of science that I am trying out in order to prepare for my exam, but I am kind of stuck on this question. I hope somebody can help me out!
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/HPS1.JPG
[Total marks: 7x2=14]

I would match:

Leibniz with calculus (or Newton? I am not too sure whether each person can be matched to multiple answers...but the total marks for this entire question is 7x2=14 so maybe not...but how can I pick only one of them?)

Newton with reflecting telescope

Leeuwenhoek with protozoa

Halley with comet

Galileo? I have no idea which should be match to him...

Hooke? Descartes?

Can anyone please help me out so that I can gain more confidence before writing the exam?
Thanks a lot!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any idea? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can Galileo be matched to any of the answers on the right? I have 5 textbooks for this course and I have done all the readings carefully, but I still can't get the answer for this one...

And for Newton and Leibniz, who is more heavily related to calculus?

Thanks!

Both are HEAVILY related to calculus, but Newton is more heavily related to the reflecting telescope than Leibniz.

Thanks...

According to my readings, I would match Galileo with refracting telescope, law of falling bodies, projectile motion, features on the moon, sunspots, Jupiter's Moons (but I can't find any of these on the right side), but I am not aware of his contributions to either centripetal or centrifugal force...did Galileo do any work on it?

I would put Hooke with cell as he discovered the cell. Newton with reflecting telescope, Leeuwenhoek with protozoa, Liebniz with calculus, and Halley with comet, leaves Descartes and Galileo with centrifugal and centripetal force. I would put Descartes with centrifugal force. That would leave Galileo with centripetal force.

AM

1. What is the significance of studying the history of science?

Studying the history of science allows us to understand how scientific ideas, theories, and discoveries have evolved over time. It helps us to see the progression of human knowledge and how scientific advancements have shaped our world.

2. How can studying the history of science improve my understanding of current scientific concepts?

Studying the history of science gives us context for current scientific concepts and helps us to understand the reasoning behind certain theories. It also allows us to see how past scientific ideas have been built upon and improved upon, leading to our current understanding.

3. What are some key events or figures in the history of science that are important to know?

Some key events and figures in the history of science include the Scientific Revolution, the development of the scientific method, and the contributions of scientists such as Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, and Charles Darwin.

4. How does the history of science relate to other disciplines?

The history of science is closely intertwined with other disciplines such as philosophy, mathematics, and technology. It has also played a significant role in shaping political, social, and cultural developments throughout history.

5. What are some resources for further studying the history of science?

There are many resources available for studying the history of science, including books, documentaries, and online courses. Some universities also offer specialized programs or courses in the history of science. Additionally, visiting museums and historical sites related to scientific discoveries can also provide valuable insights into the subject.