What is the Radius of a Satellite's Circular Orbit Around Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radius of a satellite's orbit around the Earth using the equation T^2 = (4pi^2/GM) * r^3 and requires converting the period from hours to seconds and ensuring all units are in SI units. The correct answer should be approximately 40000 km.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit around the earth. The period of the satellite is 22.0 hr. Calculate the radius of the orbit of the satellite. Data: Mass of the Earth = 5.98·1024 kg.

Homework Equations

I thought I could use...
T^2 = (4pi^2/GM) * r^3
but I am not getting the right answer, can someone give me a start on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the correct formula. Did you convert the period from hours to seconds? If not, you are going to get the incorrect answer. You have to make sure everything is in SI units.

I also assume you mean the mass of the Earth = 5.98*10^24 kg.

yes I converted it to seconds and got 1.84x10^8 m, but its wrong.

Show your work. You made a mistake somewhere, as you should have about 40000 km had you applied the equation properly.

1. What is a satellite in circular orbit?

A satellite in circular orbit is an object that orbits around a planet or other celestial body in a circular path. It is held in place by the gravitational pull of the body it is orbiting, and it maintains a constant distance and speed as it travels around the body.

2. How does a satellite maintain a circular orbit?

A satellite maintains a circular orbit by balancing its centripetal force (the force that keeps it moving in a circular path) with the gravitational force from the body it is orbiting. This results in a stable, circular orbit.

3. What factors affect a satellite's circular orbit?

The factors that affect a satellite's circular orbit include the mass of the body it is orbiting, the distance between the satellite and the body, and the speed of the satellite. These factors can all impact the strength of the gravitational force and the satellite's centripetal force, which determine the shape and stability of its orbit.

4. How does the altitude of a satellite affect its circular orbit?

The altitude of a satellite can affect its circular orbit in a few different ways. A higher altitude can result in a larger orbital period (the time it takes to complete one orbit), while a lower altitude can result in a shorter orbital period. The altitude can also impact the shape of the orbit, with higher altitudes resulting in more elliptical orbits.

5. How are satellites used in circular orbit?

Satellites in circular orbit have a wide range of uses, including communication, remote sensing, navigation, and scientific research. They can be used to transmit signals, gather data and images from Earth's surface, provide precise location information, and study various aspects of our planet and the universe.