Wavelength of Incident Photon?

In summary, the question is asking for the wavelength of an incident photon with a maximum energy transfer of 50keV during Compton Scattering. The relevant equations are lambda = (h*c)/(E) and (lambda' - lambdao) = (h/mc) (1 - cos (theta)). The maximum energy transfer occurs at a 0 degree deflection and a 180 degree bounce back, where cos(180) is negative and (1 - cos(theta)) is not equal to 0, allowing for a non-zero wavelength difference and energy transfer.
VenomHowell15
Pretty easy one, I'd imagine. Just want to check it over.

Homework Statement

If the maximum energy transferred to an electron during Compton Scattering is 50keV, what is the wavelength of the incident photon?

Homework Equations

lamba = (h*c)/(E)

(lamba' - lambdao) = (h/mc) (1 - cos (theta))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out that I'm looking at a 0 degree deflection here, with the photon bouncing back at 180 degrees if there is to be a maximum energy transfer. I'm just wondering if I have to simply plug 50 keV into lamba = (h*c)/(E), or is there some factor to take into account? I'm wondering if not all of the photons energy could be transferred to the electron and if there's any kinks involving that.

The thing is, looking at the equations above, if cos is 180, that means lambda' = lambda o... Which doesn't make sense, because that would mean the wavelengths are equal and no energy transfer could possibly have happened, since wavelength is inversely proportional to energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
VenomHowell15 said:
The thing is, looking at the equations above, if cos is 180, that means lambda' = lambda o
No it doesn't.

Hootenanny said:
No it doesn't.

Shoot... I forgot to take into account the sign of cos(180) is a negative... I was getting 0 for (1 - cos(theta))... Stupid simple mistake that I missed until after handing my assignment in.

1. What is the definition of wavelength of an incident photon?

The wavelength of an incident photon refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the photon's electromagnetic wave. It is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or nanometers.

2. How does the wavelength of an incident photon affect its energy?

The wavelength of an incident photon is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that shorter wavelengths correspond to higher energy photons, while longer wavelengths correspond to lower energy photons. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. Can the wavelength of an incident photon be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of an incident photon can be changed through various processes such as refraction, diffraction, and scattering. These processes can alter the path of the photon, causing its wavelength to either increase or decrease.

4. How does the wavelength of an incident photon relate to its color?

The color of a photon is determined by its wavelength. Shorter wavelengths correspond to the colors violet, blue, and green, while longer wavelengths correspond to the colors yellow, orange, and red. The entire visible light spectrum is made up of different wavelengths of photons.

5. What is the relationship between the wavelength of an incident photon and its frequency?

The wavelength of an incident photon is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.