High school project to propel a toy rocket as high as possible

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for a high school competition to make a miniature rocket. The suggested design involves using a two liter soda bottle, dropping a roll of mentos into it, and streamlining the edges for aerodynamics. Other suggestions include using liquid nitrogen or helium, a bungee cord slingshot, or a mixture of aluminum powder, butyl rubber, and potassium nitrate. The group also considers using vinegar and baking soda for a flameless system. There is discussion about determining the amount of air in the bottle and the potential mess created by using soda.
Ian_Brooks
My sister has a high school competition to make a miniature rocket that shoots up - where the highest reaching rocket wins.

The best Idea I can think of is using
* a two liter pepsi/coke bottle and have a system to drop a whole roll of mentos into it
* hopefully without tearing the container apart it should shoot up
* we can streamline the edges for descent aerodynamics and perhaps have a central weight on the bottom such that it will perhaps maintain a straight line path after the contents is emptied out.

any help / ideas

*apologies if this is in the wrong section*

Physics news on Phys.org
Fill up the bottle with water upto two third of its volume. Fix a valve tube, which is used in the cycle. Close the valve tube and fill the air with a hand pump as much as possible. Hold the bottle so that its mouth is in the downward direction. Now open the valve. And see what happens.

rl.bhat,

How does one determine what "as much as possible" is?

It works better with liquid nitrogen or liquid helium in a sealed metal cylinder with a high pressure valve that will open just before the cylinder would explode. :smile:

I suspect that you could launch a small rocket higher with a bungee cord slingshot than you could with Mentos.
Try experimenting with various ratios of aluminum powder, butyl rubber, and potassium nitrate... VERY CAREFULLY.
If you want to go with a flameless system, vinegar and baking soda work pretty well.

How does one determine what "as much as possible" is?
How does one know when the air is full in the cycle tube? Usually when you find it hard to push the air in bottle you stop.

wouldn't the mentos solution be cheaper to implement? the only problem is that all the other students will be drenched in pepsi. :P

You can fill up the bottle with water which does not cost much. I don't know what is mentos solution.

1. What materials do I need to make a toy rocket for this project?

To make a toy rocket for this project, you will need a cardboard tube, fins made of sturdy paper or cardboard, a nose cone, a launch pad, a rocket engine, and recovery materials such as a parachute or streamer.

2. How can I calculate the height my rocket will reach?

To calculate the height your rocket will reach, you will need to measure the weight of your rocket and the thrust of the rocket engine. Using these measurements, you can use the equation H = (1/2)gt^2 to determine the height the rocket will reach.

3. Can I use any type of rocket engine for this project?

No, it is important to use a rocket engine specifically designed for model rockets. These engines are safe and reliable for use in toy rockets and can be purchased at hobby stores or online.

4. How can I improve the performance of my rocket?

There are a few ways to improve the performance of your rocket. You can reduce the weight of the rocket by using lighter materials, make sure the fins are sturdy and properly attached, and choose a rocket engine with a higher thrust. You can also experiment with the angle of the launch pad and the amount of pressure in the rocket engine.

5. Is there a safety risk associated with launching a toy rocket?

Yes, there is a potential safety risk with launching a toy rocket. It is important to always follow safety guidelines, such as launching in an open and clear area, wearing safety goggles, and having adult supervision. It is also important to never aim the rocket at people or animals and to always follow the instructions provided with the rocket engine.