Energy conservation/rolling object

• Thread starter Epiphone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ring rolling without slipping on an inclined plane. The conversation attempts to solve the problem using energy conservation, but encounters difficulties with the equation for kinetic energy and the values given for the radius. The final answer of 3.834m up the incline is questioned and further clarification is sought. The expert advises reviewing the book for a better understanding of the problem.
Epiphone

Homework Statement

A ring of mass 2.4kg, inner radius 6.0cm, and outer radius 8.0cm is rolling (without slipping) up an inclined plane that makes an angle of theta=36.9 with the horizontal. At the moment the ring is x=2.0 m up the plane its speed is 2.8 m/s. the ring continues up the plane for some additional distance and then rolls back down. Assuming that the plane is long enough so that the ring does not roll off the top end, how far up the plane does it go?

Homework Equations

K = .5Iw^2 + .5mv^2
I = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this using energy conservation.
K = .5Iw^2 + .5mv^2
after you plug in the moment of inertia in variables, you can cancel out the radius i think to get:

K = .5mv^2 + .5mv^2
K = mv^2

it struck me odd that translational KE would equal rotational KE, and why would they give me 2 values for R if R cancels out?

plugging in values for m and v, you get:
K = 18.816J

then i used energy conservation:
U+K = Ufinal

using trig to find the U value at x = 2

35.32+18.816 = mgh
h = 2.302

using trig again to find the length up incline
my final answer is 3.834m up the incline. I really don't think its right. any help checking would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?
sorry if bumping is taboo, but i have to go soon!
this is my last hope!

Epiphone said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this using energy conservation.
K = .5Iw^2 + .5mv^2
after you plug in the moment of inertia in variables, you can cancel out the radius i think to get:

K = .5mv^2 + .5mv^2
K = mv^2

Your first equation for Kinetic Energy is incorrect.

The Kinetic Energy of a rolling object is [tex]\frac{1}{2} M w^2 + frac{1}{2} Mv^2[/tex]
where 'w' is rotational speed and 'v' is translational speed.

I would take another look at the book until it makes more sense to you.

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to preserve natural resources and decrease environmental pollution. It involves using energy more efficiently and finding alternative sources of energy.

2. How does rolling affect energy conservation?

Rolling objects conserve energy because they are able to maintain their motion without using additional energy. This is due to the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How can we conserve energy when using rolling objects?

One way to conserve energy when using rolling objects is to reduce friction. This can be achieved by using smooth, well-maintained surfaces and lubricants. Additionally, rolling objects can be designed to have a lower coefficient of friction, making them more efficient and using less energy.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation in rolling objects?

Some examples of energy conservation in rolling objects include using bicycles or skateboards instead of cars for transportation, using rolling suitcases or carts instead of carrying heavy objects, and using rolling balls or wheels in machinery to reduce friction and energy usage.

5. How does energy conservation in rolling objects benefit the environment?

Energy conservation in rolling objects can benefit the environment in several ways. By reducing the use of fossil fuels and other non-renewable energy sources, it decreases air and water pollution and helps combat climate change. It also helps to preserve natural resources and ecosystems, promoting a healthier planet for future generations.