Evaluating Undefined Limit of Calculus Final

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a high school calculus class where the question asks for the right-hand limit of a function as x approaches 4, but the function is undefined for x greater than 4. The student initially answered "undefined" and provided reasoning, but the teacher disagreed and said the limit exists and is equal to the left-hand limit. The student plans on challenging their grade based on this disagreement. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of complex numbers and their role in defining the square root of negative numbers.
uman
For the scantron-based (*sigh*) final of my high school calculus class, one of the problems was to evaluate
[tex]\lim_{x\to 4^+}\sqrt{4-x}[/tex].

I answered "undefined", reasoning that since [tex]\sqrt{4-x}[/tex] is undefined for all x "to the right of" 4, it could hardly approach any value as x approaches 4 from the right.

More formally, if the limit exists then there is some number L such that for any strictly postive number [tex]\epsilon[/tex], there is a strictly postive number [tex]\delta[/tex] such that
[tex]|\sqrt{4-x}-L|<\epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]4<x<4+\delta[/tex]. Since x is always greater than 4, [tex]|\sqrt{4-x} - L|[/tex] is undefined (because negative numbers are not in the domain of the square root function) and therefore not less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. This leads to a contradiction, therefore there is no limit as x approaches 4 from the right.

My teacher disagreed and said that if the scantron marked me wrong, I must be wrong. She had very little time to listen to me as she had to go eat lunch or something.

Is there anything wrong with my reasoning, or am I right? My final grade in the class could depend on this, so if I'm not mistaken somewhere I plan on confronting my teacher about it after winter break.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the function is defined for x < 4 and undefined for x > 4, the right-limit is not applicable. "The" limit is defined as the left-limit, which is the only applicable direction here.

Put differently, the only admissible sequence approaching from the right is the constant sequence c = {4, 4, ...}. Since f(c) = 0, the right-limit condition is satisfied in a trivial way.

Last edited:
So the right-hand limit is undefined, yes?

uman said:
So the right-hand limit is undefined, yes?
The concept of a right limit does not apply to this example; the only directional limit that is applicable is the left-limit, which is well-defined. Therefore "the" limit exists and is well defined.

I am sorry for your grades; hopefully they'll be better next semester.

Yes, "the" limit exists and is equal to the left-hand limit. That's not what the problem asks. The problem explicity asked for the right-hand limit, not the left-hand limit or the limit in general. The right-hand limit is, as you say, meaningless here and therefore imo "undefined" is the best answer.

Thanks for your sympathy.

uman. If it does indeed ask for the right hand limit here, then your answer is correct. The function is not defined on that interval, so the concept for the right hand limit does not make any sense. (It would be like asking for the largest element of the empty set. The request makes no sense.)

The only way your answer would be wrong would be if you were allowing the square root function to be defined for negative values. (Though from your discussion, I'm assuming that you've defined it as being a function from non-negative real numbers to non-negative real numbers). In this case, though the expression would have an imaginary value for all x>4, the limit would exist and be equal to 0.

So really, whether or not you got the question right depends on if it was really asking for the right hand limit (perhaps you remembered the question incorrectly) and if you are allowing negative numbers to have square roots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Since we haven't learned about complex numbers, I can't see how the sqrt of a negative number would be defined. And I'm almost positive I didn't read it wrong.

I'm going to challenge my grade then, thanks.

What is an undefined limit in calculus?

An undefined limit in calculus refers to a situation where the limit of a function does not exist. This can occur when the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the limit point, or when the function approaches positive or negative infinity.

Why is it important to evaluate the undefined limit of a calculus final?

Evaluating the undefined limit of a calculus final is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a particular point. This information is crucial in understanding the overall behavior of the function and can help us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are some common techniques for evaluating undefined limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating undefined limits include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, rationalizing, and applying L'Hôpital's rule. It is important to have a good understanding of these techniques and when to apply them in order to successfully evaluate undefined limits.

Can undefined limits be positive or negative?

Yes, undefined limits can be positive or negative. This depends on the behavior of the function as it approaches the limit point. For example, a function may approach positive infinity from one side and negative infinity from the other side, resulting in an undefined limit.

How can understanding undefined limits help in other areas of mathematics and science?

Understanding undefined limits is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their behavior. It also plays a key role in topics such as continuity, differentiability, and optimization, which are important concepts in calculus and other branches of mathematics and science.