Is a Minor in Polymer Worth Pursuing for a Chemical Engineering Student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the option of pursuing a minor in polymer science and engineering for a chemical engineering student. The student is unsure if this decision will limit their future job opportunities, as they are currently on a scholarship with an oil company and may have to work for them after graduation. They are seeking advice on the matter and are open to answering any questions.
FaNgS
Minor in Polymer or not??

Hello guys, been a while since I've been in here.

Well I'm a sophomore student studying chemical engineering on a full scholarship offered by the oil company where I live. After graduation I'll have to work for the oil company, equal to the number of years I study.

In the chemical engineering department they offer students to select a number of technical courses which will determine a speciality "track". The "track" is basically a minor in a certain area. They offer two tracks/minors: a minor in polymer science and engineering or a general track.

To get the polymer track studnets will have to take 18 credit hours of ONLY polymer courses, which means they'll have to take all of the following courses:
- Introduction to Polymer Science and Engineering
- Polymer Chemistry and Reaction Engineering
- Polymer Properties, Testing and Characterization
- Polymer Processing and Materials Design

And to get the general track students get the freedom to choose from the following courses to study:
- Gas Processing Engineering
- Petroleum Refining and Processing
- Water Treatment and Membrane Processes
- Combustion and Air Pollution Control
- Corrosion Engineering

I've registered myself for the introductory course for polymers for next semester after my spring break and I've been thinking of following the polymer track. But I'm not sure if that's going to help me in the future. Since I will have to work for the oil company which provided me with the scholarship that means I'll be working in the petroleum industry for around 4 to 5 years. What about after those 5 years? Will getting the polymer track restrict me to the petroleum industry?

Any advice or help is appreciated.

I'm open to any questions

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have done B.Sc-Polymer Science and doing M.Sc-Industrial Chemistry. so can u tell me how to get admission in M.Tech in Polymer Engineering and which is best institute? please mail me at 1985.varun@gmail.com

Last edited:
for your question! I can offer some insight into whether pursuing a minor in polymer is worth it for a chemical engineering student. The answer ultimately depends on your career goals and what you hope to gain from your education.

First and foremost, a minor in polymer can provide you with a deeper understanding of this specific area of chemical engineering. This can be beneficial if you are interested in pursuing a career in polymer science or if you want to work in industries that heavily utilize polymers, such as the plastics, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology industries. Having a strong background in polymer science and engineering can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in these fields.

However, if your ultimate goal is to work in the petroleum industry, then a minor in polymer may not be as relevant to your career path. While polymers are used in the petroleum industry, they may not be the primary focus of your work. In this case, taking courses in areas such as gas processing, petroleum refining, and water treatment may be more beneficial for your career.

It's also important to consider the time and effort required to complete a minor in polymer. As you mentioned, it would require 18 credit hours of only polymer courses. This may be a significant workload in addition to your regular chemical engineering coursework. You may want to weigh the potential benefits of having a minor in polymer against the time and effort it would take to complete it.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a minor in polymer should be based on your own interests and career goals. If you are passionate about polymer science and engineering and see it as a potential career path, then it may be worth pursuing. However, if you are more interested in other areas of chemical engineering and do not see yourself working in the polymer industry, then it may not be necessary for you to complete the minor. I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor and possibly reaching out to professionals in the polymer industry to gain more insight and make an informed decision. Best of luck in your studies!

1. Should I minor in Polymer if my major is Chemistry?

It could be beneficial to minor in Polymer if you are interested in the study of molecules and their properties. Polymer chemistry is a specialized field within chemistry that focuses on the synthesis and characterization of large molecules.

2. What career opportunities are available with a minor in Polymer?

A minor in Polymer can open up opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, plastics and materials, coatings and adhesives, and biomedical research. You could also pursue graduate studies in polymer science or related fields.

3. Is a minor in Polymer necessary for a career in materials science?

A minor in Polymer is not necessary for a career in materials science, but it can provide a strong foundation in the chemistry and properties of polymers which are commonly used in materials engineering.

4. Can I minor in Polymer if my major is not in the sciences?

Yes, you can minor in Polymer even if your major is not in the sciences. However, you may need to take prerequisite courses in chemistry and other relevant subjects to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the minor.

5. What are the benefits of minoring in Polymer?

A minor in Polymer can provide you with a deeper understanding of the chemistry and properties of polymers, which are widely used in various industries. It can also make you stand out to potential employers and give you a competitive edge in the job market.