What is the Method for Finding a Cubic Function with Specific Zeros?

In summary, the problem asks for an expression for a cubic function with given values for f(1) and f(-1)=f(0)=f(2)=0. By understanding the concept of zeros of a function, the expression (x+1)(x)(x-2) can be derived. To determine the constant K, the value of f(1) is used to solve for K=-3. Therefore, the final expression for the cubic function is f(x)=-3x(x+1)(x-2).
nanoWatt

Homework Statement

From James Stewart's Essential Calculus Early Trancendentals, p.21 #5.

Find an expression for a cubic function f if f(1)=6 and f(-1)=f(0)=f(2)=0

Homework Equations

Used zeros of the function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the values of x (assuming it's f(x)) which make the value 0 are the zeros of the function. We want these x values to make the whole statement 0, so

since f(-1) = 0, then (x+1) is one of the zeros. Similarly (x-0) and (x-2) are zeros as well.

If I put them together, I get (x+1)(x)(x-2), but then I don't know what to do with the f(1) = 6.

The answer guide gives: f(x) = -3x(x+1)(x-2)

For some reason, the (x-0) just dropped off, and somehow f(1)=6 equates to -3x, or maybe just -3, and the x is from the (x-0).

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting the roots together gives you K*(x+1)(x)(x-2) where K is any constant. That still has the right roots. To determine K, put x=1 and adjust K so you get 6.

nanoWatt said:
If I put them together, I get (x+1)(x)(x-2), but then I don't know what to do with the f(1) = 6.

Now, f(x) = x(x + 1)(x - 2) is a function that you have arrived at from the fact that x, x + 1 and x - 2 are factors for f(x). However, these three monomials are also factors of.. let's say 2x(x + 1)(x - 2) or 4x(x + 1)(x - 2). Basically, any function of the form: f(x) = ax(x + 1)(x - 2) has those three monomials as it's factors.

so.. can you use the fact that f(1) = 6 to get the value of 'a'?? If done properly, you should get a = -3 which will match your answer...

EDIT:

goddammit.. dick beat me to it.. [no pun intended]

Thanks to both of you. Actually, before that was assigned to us, I went through some of the problems on my own, and tried that one. I asked the teacher about it, and she didn't seem to know how to do it. Then she assigned it to us that evening. It was the only problem in this week's homework I've had trouble with.

Well, of course. If you don't know how to solve a problem, give it to your students!

HallsofIvy said:
Well, of course. If you don't know how to solve a problem, give it to your students!

i'm going to go out and get myself a student...

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a type of mathematical function that can be represented by a polynomial equation of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the independent variable. It is called a cubic function because it contains a term with a degree of 3, which is the highest degree possible for a polynomial with only one variable.

2. What is the general shape of a cubic function?

The general shape of a cubic function is a curve that can either be concave or convex. It can have up to two turning points or inflection points, depending on the values of the coefficients a, b, and c. The curve can also be symmetrical or asymmetrical, depending on the values of the coefficients.

3. How do you graph a cubic function?

To graph a cubic function, you can plot a few points by choosing different values for x and solving for y using the given equation. You can also use transformations to graph the function by starting with the basic cubic function f(x) = x^3 and applying horizontal and vertical shifts, stretches, and reflections.

4. What are the real-life applications of cubic functions?

Cubic functions can be used to model real-life phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. They are also used in engineering and physics to describe the behavior of materials and systems.

5. How do you solve a cubic function?

To solve a cubic function, you can use various methods such as factoring, the rational root theorem, synthetic division, or the cubic formula. However, for some cubic functions, it may not be possible to find exact solutions using these methods, and numerical methods may be needed to approximate the roots.