Best Wines: Red or White - Which Do You Prefer?

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
In summary, the group discussed their favorite types of wine and how they pair with different types of food. The majority preferred red wine, specifically Italian Brunello/Chianti, Spanish Rioja, or Shiraz, as it goes well with steak and can be aged longer. Some also mentioned Torii Mor Pinot Noir and Chardonnay as their preferred red and white wines, respectively. French wines were also mentioned, with a particular focus on the region rather than the grape. Others shared their preference for white wines in the summer and red wines in the winter, and some mentioned specific regions such as Riesling and Languedoc. The group also discussed their experiences with a particularly delicious ChateauNeuf Du Pape wine and
pitot-tube
Which wine do you like drinking most - red or white - and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Red. either Italian Brunello/Chianti, Spanish Rioja or Shiraz. It goes well with steaks and is great for you. You can usually save good red wines for much longer too and some get better.

Last edited:
I like Torii Mor Pinot Noir the best but lately it has been causing migraines so I have grudgingly switched to Chardonnay.

In reds, I enjoy shiraz, tempranillo, pinot noir, and sometimes a zinfandel. In whites, I enjoy sauvignon blanc, gewurztrameiner (sp?), pouilly-fousez (sp? again), and just finished a bottle of unoaked chardonnay that was quite tasty too. I don't usually like chardonnays because of the oakiness, but my friend gave me a bottle of this unoaked chardonnay for Christmas, and it was quite nice.

Jack Daniels.

I'm another red fan. Syrah would probably be my favorite, followed by sangiovese, tocatta, barbera and the like.

- Warren

In France they master the blending of different races of wines for optimal effects and it's not the grape but the region that makes or breakes the bottle.

Some decenniums ago, I was in a hotel for a reunion and I ordered the house wine. Tasting it, I almost fell of of chair. Never before and after have I tasted such a delicious wine. So I inquired about the "Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée", the response was ChateauNeuf Du Pape of some ten years old. That wine would easily do $100 a bottle. So I wondered why as house wine? that wine is at its top now hence it should be enjoyed.

As from then on that hotel is on my favorite list.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed some French wines named regionally, but I can never remember what they are called to have them a second time. :redface: On the few occasions when I have remembered, unfortunately, it seems it was only a single good vintage year, and then it never tasted the same again. Though, some French friends of mine are convinced something horrible is done to French wines during shipping to the US, because even they could not find a French wine they liked while living here.

Wines change every year. What was good last year may be crap this year. I live in wine country, and take at least two trips a year throughout the Napa/Sonoma and Santa Barbara regions. I look for new favorites and load up on whatever I happen to find that I like. I'll buy 15-20 bottles of all different kinds on each trip, drink that until it's all gone, and then go back, hunting for something new...

- Warren

Napa Cabs and Alexander Valley Petite Sirahs.

chroot said:
Wines change every year. What was good last year may be crap this year. I live in wine country, and take at least two trips a year throughout the Napa/Sonoma and Santa Barbara regions. I look for new favorites and load up on whatever I happen to find that I like. I'll buy 15-20 bottles of all different kinds on each trip, drink that until it's all gone, and then go back, hunting for something new...

- Warren

I am jealous

larkspur said:
I am jealous

Life is good, it's true. :biggrin:

- Warren

Pinot Noir, gamay beaujolais, or just a nice Melot.

My favourite wine is sort of a special-occasion wine because it's so specific in its flavour. It's made by a British Columbia winery, http://www.silversagewinery.com/profiles.php#" and their Sage Grand Reserve is something so special, it has to be tasted to be believed.

Other than that, I find just about any decent wine nice. "Decent" meaning not Cellar Cask Reserve or Baby Duck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wine is something I don't think I will ever like, I just cannot stand it for some reason. Whenever I am at a dinner or a restaurant I will have a sip of someones to see if I like it and I never do.

"We never go to Palm Springs anymore..."

oh, sorry. You said "wine". heh :redface:

Oh red wine!, for me drinking red wine with a good piece of meat, a sirloin, angus.. It's a must. I like shiraz yellow tail for most meats, but I'm also a huge fan of Rioja, Tuscany and Bordeaux wines.

In summer I tend to drink more Riesling, light and dry. While the winter months, when I can get it, red Languedoc, Plantation 1905.

pitot-tube said:
Which wine do you like drinking most - red or white - and why?
most especially white- dry, light and sparkling!

Andre said:
In France they master the blending of different races of wines for optimal effects and it's not the grape but the region that makes or breakes the bottle.

Some decenniums ago, I was in a hotel for a reunion and I ordered the house wine. Tasting it, I almost fell of of chair. Never before and after have I tasted such a delicious wine. So I inquired about the "Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée", the response was ChateauNeuf Du Pape of some ten years old. That wine would easily do $100 a bottle. So I wondered why as house wine? that wine is at its top now hence it should be enjoyed.
I am jealous about that!

fi said:
andre said:
ChateauNeuf Du Pape of some ten years old.

I am jealous about that!

It was an exceptional experience indeed. Current http://www.vinadea.com/index.html, quite some variation, not too bad, the oldest being from 2000. Older 'millésimes' which are no longer available from the retailer usually skyrocket in price.

Edit: I see that the first site does not downlink. Click on "Afficher la liste complète des vins"

Last edited:
Rosé fer shur. I usually go with Wild Irish Rosé.

You know, continuing the topic, what are your favorite wines to go with meat cuts??

1. What are the main differences between red and white wine?

The main differences between red and white wine are the types of grapes used, the fermentation process, and the aging process. Red wine is made from darker and more tannic grapes, while white wine is made from lighter and less tannic grapes. Red wine also undergoes a longer fermentation process with the grape skins, while white wine does not. The aging process for red wine is typically longer than white wine, which gives it a richer and bolder flavor.

2. Which type of wine is better for pairing with food?

This depends on personal preference and the type of food being served. Generally, red wine is better for pairing with red meats and hearty dishes, while white wine is better for pairing with seafood, poultry, and lighter dishes. However, there are no hard and fast rules and it ultimately comes down to individual taste.

3. What are the health benefits of red and white wine?

Both red and white wine contain antioxidants and polyphenols, which have been linked to various health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. However, red wine is typically higher in these compounds due to the longer fermentation process with the grape skins.

4. How should red and white wine be stored?

Both red and white wine should be stored in a cool, dark, and dry place with a consistent temperature. The ideal temperature for storing wine is between 45-65°F. It is also important to store wine horizontally to keep the cork moist and prevent it from drying out, which can cause oxidation and spoilage.

5. Can you mix red and white wine?

It is generally not recommended to mix red and white wine, as they have different flavor profiles and mixing them may result in an unpleasant taste. However, there are some instances where blending red and white wines can create a unique and enjoyable flavor, such as in certain sangria recipes.