Quick question about the power industry?

In summary: For example, in a three phase supply, an electrical engineer would tell the electrician which wire to use for each circuit.
Ian_Brooks
I was shocked to learn that any old mechatronic student with one power course can get the same job in the power industry as an EE who did well over 4-5 courses in power. How does that work?

Why aren't EE;s given any extra preference?

Physics news on Phys.org
As soon as you hit industry you realize exactly how little those 4-5 courses covered.

And although you can derive the phasor diagram for a three phase supply your task is going to be "look up in the wiring standard which type of wire we use for a circuit of X current and order some" rather than, model the heat loss rate of the cable under these conditions and calculate the optimal diamter.

Last edited:
:(

So with my EE degree - its basicly just a choice of what I want to learn. In the end - the Industry is just looking for any engineering degree and nothing we learned in College is relevant.

I think I'm even more shocked now with this realization

Ian_Brooks said:
In the end - the Industry is just looking for any engineering degree and nothing we learned in College is relevant.
I think I'm even more shocked now with this realization
But that's a GOOD thing - if you only needed what you learned in your degree then;
1, You wouldn't need to learn anything in the next 40 years in your job - doesn't sound that interesting.
2, As new technologies/methods/regulations come out they would fire you and hire a new crop of graduates who had learned that stuff in their degrees.

Your degree will be more useful than someone who has just done a short course - you learned how to study, you learned some useful numercial/statistical techniques but most importantly you learned the background to understand WHY something behaves the way it does. So when you come across something that no one has seen before you have the tools to deal with it.

mgb_phys said:
As soon as you hit industry you realize exactly how little those 4-5 courses covered.

And although you can derive the phasor diagram for a three phase supply your task is going to be "look up in the wiring standard which type of wire we use for a circuit of X current and order some" rather than, model the heat loss rate of the cable under these conditions and calculate the optimal diamter.
Your job description sounds just like that of an electrician, so, what's the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer in the power industry?

Defennnder said:
Your job description sounds just like that of an electrician, so, what's the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer in the power industry?

An electrical engineer engineer reads the wiring standard and tells the electrician which wire to install.

1. What is the power industry?

The power industry refers to the sector responsible for generating, transmitting, and distributing electricity to homes and businesses.

2. How does electricity generation work in the power industry?

Electricity is typically generated through the use of turbines, which are powered by various sources such as coal, natural gas, nuclear energy, or renewable sources like wind and solar. The turbines are connected to generators that convert the rotational energy into electricity, which is then transmitted through power lines to homes and businesses.

3. What are the main sources of energy in the power industry?

The main sources of energy in the power industry include fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and oil), renewable sources (such as wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal), and nuclear energy.

4. How does the power industry impact the environment?

The power industry has a significant impact on the environment due to the emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants from the burning of fossil fuels. However, there are efforts to shift towards cleaner and more sustainable sources of energy to reduce this impact.

5. What are the current trends in the power industry?

Some current trends in the power industry include the increasing use of renewable energy sources, advancements in energy storage technology, and the implementation of smart grid systems to improve efficiency and reliability. There is also a growing focus on reducing carbon emissions and transitioning to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly energy system.