Learning outside of the classroom

In summary: Yes and no. A lot handbooks offer a brief theoretical overview of what the formulas actually mean, or derive a simple case. Sometimes they do offer a bit more of the theory, it just depends on the book and if the subuject warrants more of an explanation. Catalogs are just that...catalogs.
bigaggie
So I have this question, and while I may not be in a position to apply it now, it is something I'm curious about. But for you guys who've already graduated and are engineers and have been for some time, how do you motivate yourself to keep learning? What sources do you utilize for these purposes? I just have a hard time visualizing anyone reading a textbook without someone forcing them to.

Physics news on Phys.org
You find your limitations when you work in a job. You then decide to professionally develop yourself; the methods can generally be self-directed study, or attending more coursework.

bigaggie said:
So I have this question, and while I may not be in a position to apply it now, it is something I'm curious about. But for you guys who've already graduated and are engineers and have been for some time, how do you motivate yourself to keep learning? What sources do you utilize for these purposes? I just have a hard time visualizing anyone reading a textbook without someone forcing them to.

I generally find that I'm the one forcing me to read!

Once you start working, and assuming you want to actually do a good job, you'll find that you must read books (typically reference books) to do your job. You are not going to remember every formula you learned so you'll need a reference at the least for that.

As far as learning new material...it goes back to you have the desire.

CS

What kind of reference books would you be reading as engineers? They're not like theory-laden textbooks of engineering courses but more of dry engineering catalog specifications or operating manual types right?

Defennnder said:
What kind of reference books would you be reading as engineers? They're not like theory-laden textbooks of engineering courses but more of dry engineering catalog specifications or operating manual types right?

Yes and no. A lot handbooks offer a brief theoretical overview of what the formulas actually mean, or derive a simple case. Sometimes they do offer a bit more of the theory, it just depends on the book and if the subuject warrants more of an explanation.

Catalogs are just that...catalogs.

I've never seen an operating manual with any kind of theory in it.

CS

Right now I'm reading Palmgren's Ball and Roller Bearing Engineering. Last week it was the Bodine Small Motor, Gearmotor, and Control Handbook. For me, it almost always depends on what I need to know at that point in time or what's new that I might have some use for.

1. What is learning outside of the classroom?

Learning outside of the classroom refers to any educational experiences that occur outside of a traditional classroom setting. This can include field trips, hands-on activities, and other real-world experiences that supplement classroom learning.

2. Why is learning outside of the classroom important?

Learning outside of the classroom allows students to apply what they have learned in a real-world context, making it more meaningful and relevant. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and social skills.

3. What are some examples of learning outside of the classroom?

Examples of learning outside of the classroom include field trips to museums, nature centers, or historical sites, internships or job shadowing opportunities, and service learning projects. Outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and team building exercises can also be considered as learning outside of the classroom.

4. How does learning outside of the classroom benefit students?

Learning outside of the classroom has been shown to improve student engagement, motivation, and academic achievement. It also helps students develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter and fosters a love for learning.

5. How can learning outside of the classroom be incorporated into traditional education?

There are many ways to incorporate learning outside of the classroom into traditional education. Teachers can plan field trips or invite guest speakers to supplement classroom lessons. They can also incorporate hands-on activities or projects that require students to apply their knowledge in a practical setting. Online resources and virtual field trips can also provide valuable learning experiences outside of the classroom.