Understanding the Clebsch Gordan Coefficients: Explained and Solved

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the Clebsch Gordan coefficients. The participants discuss the two sums over m_1 and m_2 and whether they are equal. They also mention the use of a CG calculator and provide an example to explain the property. The conversation ends with one of the participants marking the question as solved.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Stupid question about Clebsch Gordan

I know that

[tex] \sum _{m_1,m_2}|<j_1m_1,j_2m_2|jm>|^2 = 1 [/tex]

But is

[tex] \sum _{m_1,m_2}|<j_1m_1,j_2-m_2|jm'>|^2 = 1 [/tex] ?

I have tried to justify this by using a CG calculator and so on, but I just can't figure out why :S

I think that doesent matter, since you sum over all m_2 and m_1 so that m_1 + m_2 = m'.

Does anyone have a hint or clue?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe an example will help. Suppose m_1 = -1, 0 , 1. Write out the two sums over m_1 explicitly.

If you use -m_2, then you can only have m_1-m_2=m'.
CG are not defined (or are zero) unless m_1+m_2=m.

pam said:

those things I know.

Geroge Jones:

[tex] \sum _{a=-1}^1a = \sum _{a=1}^{-1}(-a)

pam said:

those things I know.

Geroge Jones:

[tex] \sum _{a=-1}^1a = \sum _{a=1}^{-1}(-a) [/tex]

malawi_glenn said:
I know that

[tex] \sum _{m_1,m_2}|<j_1m_1,j_2m_2|jm>|^2 = 1 [/tex]

But is

I have tried to justify this by using a CG calculator and so on, but I just can't figure out why :S

I think that doesent matter, since you sum over all m_2 and m_1 so that m_1 + m_2 = m'.

Does anyone have a hint or clue?

As you say, since you are summing over all possible m_2 anyway, it does not matter at all if the label is [itex] - m_2 [/itex] or [itex] m_2 [/itex]. Unless I am missing something...

kdv said:
As you say, since you are summing over all possible m_2 anyway, it does not matter at all if the label is [itex] - m_2 [/itex] or [itex] m_2 [/itex]. Unless I am missing something...

Thats what I am wondering too :)

I was looking in Greniers book "nuclear models" page 93 and 94, and saw that he must have uses this property. And this is a sub problem for my HW, so therefor I aksed here.

malawi_glenn said:
Thats what I am wondering too :)

I was looking in Greniers book "nuclear models" page 93 and 94, and saw that he must have uses this property. And this is a sub problem for my HW, so therefor I aksed here.

The two expressions are equal. I was wondering if something had made you doubt it and if I was maybe not understanding the notation.

kdv said:
The two expressions are equal. I was wondering if something had made you doubt it and if I was maybe not understanding the notation.

No you have understand my question correct. I will mark this as solved now.

kdv said:

This is what I was trying to get at, but I accidentally wrote m_1 instead of m_2.

malawi_glenn said:
But is

I'm sorry, but I'm still puzzled. If that isn't a misprint, you can't have
<m_1,-m_2|m'> if m_1+m_2=m'.

pam said:
I'm sorry, but I'm still puzzled. If that isn't a misprint, you can't have
<m_1,-m_2|m'> if m_1+m_2=m'.

no of coruse not, But the other guys understood my question;)

What is Clebsch Gordan coefficient?

Clebsch Gordan coefficient is a mathematical quantity used in quantum mechanics to describe the coupling of angular momenta in a composite system.

How is Clebsch Gordan coefficient calculated?

Clebsch Gordan coefficient is calculated using a complex formula involving the angular momenta of the individual particles in the composite system.

What is the significance of Clebsch Gordan coefficient in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch Gordan coefficient plays a crucial role in calculating the probability amplitudes for various quantum mechanical processes involving composite systems.

Can Clebsch Gordan coefficient be negative?

Yes, Clebsch Gordan coefficient can be negative. It represents the relative phase between the different possible states of the composite system.

Is there a physical interpretation for Clebsch Gordan coefficient?

Yes, Clebsch Gordan coefficient has a physical interpretation in terms of the alignment of the angular momenta of the particles in the composite system.