How to Prove the Commutator Relation for Quantum Spin Operators?

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of orthonormality to prove the commutator relation [S_i,S_j]= i \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k, where S_x, S_y, and S_z are defined in terms of |+\rangle and |-\rangle. It is pointed out that S_x and S_y do not commute, and a typo in the calculation is corrected. The conversation ends with a request for further assistance on a new topic.
jdstokes

Homework Statement

Using the orthonormality of [itex]|+\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|-\rangle[/itex], prove

[itex][S_i,S_j]= i \varepsilon_{ijk}S_k[/itex]

where
[itex]S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + |[/itex]
[itex]S_y = -\frac{i\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + |[/itex]
[itex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle + | - | - \rangle \langle - |[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since S_x and S_y commute, their commutator should be zero which contradicts [itex][S_x,S_y]= i S_z[/itex]. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
S_x and S_y does not commute, check again.

If you are unsure, please write the procedure you did to get that S_x and S_y commutes.

Umm, is this not right?

[itex][S_x,S_y] = \frac{\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + |\left(-\frac{i\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + | \right)

-\left(-\frac{i\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + | \right)\frac{\hbar}{2}|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + | = 0[/itex]?

Is this a typo or what?

jdstokes said:
Is this a typo or what?

Must be; the way it's written,

[tex]S_y = -iS_x.[/tex]

jdstokes You must use paranthesis more carefully!

According to my copy of Sakurai:

[itex]S_y = \frac{i\hbar}{2}(-|+\rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle + |)[/itex]

OMG why do I miss these obvious things!

Thanks for your patience malawi_glenn and George.

If you guys have a spare moment, would you please have a look at my new post in the quantum physics forum?

1. What is the main topic of Sakurai Chapter 1 Question 8?

The main topic of Sakurai Chapter 1 Question 8 is quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of angular momentum and its operators.

2. What is the purpose of this question in the chapter?

The purpose of this question is to test the reader's understanding of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to angular momentum.

3. How does Sakurai Chapter 1 Question 8 connect to other concepts in the chapter?

This question connects to other concepts in the chapter by building on the previous sections on quantum mechanics and introducing the idea of angular momentum as a fundamental property of particles.

4. What is the difficulty level of Sakurai Chapter 1 Question 8?

The difficulty level of this question may vary depending on the reader's background and understanding of quantum mechanics, but it is generally considered to be of medium difficulty.

5. How can I approach solving Sakurai Chapter 1 Question 8?

To solve this question, it is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to angular momentum. It may also be helpful to review the relevant equations and concepts before attempting to solve the problem.