Griffiths Problem 3.17: I Don't Know the Answer

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
In summary, Griffiths Problem 3.17 is a physics problem that involves calculating the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire in the presence of a conducting loop. It is significant because it demonstrates the application of important principles in electromagnetism, such as Ampere's law and the Biot-Savart law. The difficulty level of this problem is considered to be intermediate and it requires knowledge of various principles and techniques. To solve this problem, it is important to understand the scenario, identify relevant equations, and visualize the situation. Breaking the problem down into smaller steps and paying attention to units and direction can also be helpful.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Please stop reading unless you have Griffiths.

In part a, he says that I know the answer in advance. I actually don't. Why should I?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Because there are no higher order terms in the Legendre Polynomial it has to be same as on the surface and just the ratios of the radii times the potential outside

1. What is the Griffiths Problem 3.17?

Griffiths Problem 3.17 is a physics problem proposed by David J. Griffiths in his textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics". It involves solving for the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire in the presence of a conducting loop.

2. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it demonstrates the application of Ampere's law and the Biot-Savart law in understanding and calculating the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. It also introduces the concept of self-inductance, which is important in electromagnetism.

3. What is the difficulty level of this problem?

The difficulty level of this problem is considered to be intermediate for students with a basic understanding of electromagnetism and vector calculus. It requires knowledge of Ampere's law, the Biot-Savart law, and integration techniques.

4. How can I approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, it is important to first understand the given scenario and identify the relevant equations and principles. Then, apply these equations and principles to set up and solve the mathematical equations for the magnetic field. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and visualize the situation to aid in problem-solving.

5. Are there any tips for solving this problem?

One tip for solving this problem is to break it down into smaller, manageable steps. Start by calculating the magnetic field at a point on the loop due to a small section of the current-carrying wire, and then integrate over the entire loop to find the total magnetic field. It is also important to carefully keep track of units and pay attention to the direction of the magnetic field at various points.