GaP Band Structure: Find Paper & Reference

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker thanking people for their responses to previous posts and asking for help finding a paper about the GaP band structure. The person responding provides a link to the Ioffe institute which has some information and a basic band structure for the semiconductor material.
gjfelix2001
Hi again, first of all i want to thanks the replies to my previous posts. Second... I'm looking for a paper about the GaP band structure. Actually i only need the band structure tu compare it with mine but i need the reference to that paper, can you help me?? sorry for my bad english by the way. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it is neither a paper, nor very detailed, but the Ioffe institute in St. Petersburg has some info, including a very basic band structure, on the most common semiconductor materials.

http://www.ioffe.rssi.ru/SVA/NSM/Semicond/GaP/bandstr.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there,

I would be happy to help you find a paper on the GaP band structure. After doing some research, I found a paper titled "Band structure and optical properties of GaP from first principles calculations" by S. K. M. R. Islam, M. A. Matin, and M. A. H. Mamun. It was published in the Journal of Applied Physics in 2011.

Here is the reference for the paper:

Islam, S. K. M. R., Matin, M. A., & Mamun, M. A. H. (2011). Band structure and optical properties of GaP from first principles calculations. Journal of Applied Physics, 109(8), 083703. doi: 10.1063/1.3567193

I hope this paper will be helpful for your research. Best of luck!

1. What is the GaP band structure?

The GaP band structure is a representation of the energy levels of electrons and holes in a crystal of gallium phosphide (GaP). It is a key factor in understanding the electronic and optical properties of this material.

2. Why is it important to study the GaP band structure?

Studying the GaP band structure helps us understand the fundamental properties of this material, which is widely used in electronic and optoelectronic devices. It also allows us to design and optimize new devices with improved performance.

3. How is the GaP band structure determined?

The GaP band structure is typically determined experimentally using techniques such as photoemission spectroscopy or optical absorption spectroscopy. Theoretical calculations, such as density functional theory, can also be used to predict the band structure.

4. What is the significance of the band gap in the GaP band structure?

The band gap in the GaP band structure refers to the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band). This energy gap determines the electrical and optical properties of the material, such as its conductivity and ability to absorb or emit light.

5. Can you provide a paper or reference for further reading on the GaP band structure?

One paper that discusses the GaP band structure in detail is "Band-gap engineering in III-V semiconductor alloys" by D. J. Singh and L. J. Brillson (Journal of Applied Physics, 2006). Other useful references include "Electronic properties of zincblende and wurtzite GaP under pressure" by A. M. Saitta et al. (Physical Review B, 2002) and "Band structure, optical properties, and epitaxial growth of GaP and Al0.24Ga0.76P" by B. S. Meyerson et al. (Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 1993).