Limit problem. Chapter :Precise definition

In summary: So if x-1 is a factor of 2+ x-3x^3, then x-1 is a factor of (-1)(2+x-3x^3) or 0< x<2. In summary, the OP attempted to solve an equation involving limits, but was unsuccessful.
nejnadusho

Homework Statement

Find the limit

lim x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]1 (4+x-3(x^3) = 2

find the values of [tex]\delta[/tex] that correspond to [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=1 and

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As much as I know I should do like this.

|(4 + x - 3(x^3)) - 2| < 1 /////// |x-1| < [tex]\delta[/tex]

|-3(x^3) + x + 2| < 1 so what so on?

I have no idea.
Thank you in advance.]
Please if you can give me aa short explan with the steps.
Thanks thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
well this does not look that bad at all: The idea is quite simple indeed. Here is what you need to do

[tex]|4+x-3x^{3}-2|<\epsilon=1[/tex] frome here using the properties of the absolute value we have:

[tex]-1<2+x-3x^{3}<1[/tex] now let this expression be equal to -1, and 1 ,and solve for x. ALso after that use the fact that

[tex]|x-1|<\delta=>-\delta<x-1<\delta =>1-\delta<x<1+\delta[/tex]. then use these two expression to come up with the value of delta.

Do the exact same steps for epsilon=0.1

This is almost the whole thing, all i have left out are calculations, simply algebra steps. I think you will be fine from here.

Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
Not really.

An ideal way would be to manage to solve this eq. [tex]2+x-3x^{3}=1[/tex] but since there seem to be no obvious solutions, than doing it is going to be a pain. But i think we can proceede this way also, i am not that sure though:
[tex]-|3x^{3}|=-|x||3x^{2}|\leq-|x||3x^{2}-1|\leq2-|x||3x^{2}-1|\leq|2-x(3x^{2}-1)|<\epsilon=1[/tex], so [tex]|3x^{3}|>1=>-1>3x^{3}>1=>-\frac{1}{3}>x^{3}>\frac{1}{3}[/tex] the corresponging equation

[tex]x^{3}=\pm \frac{1}{3}[/tex] will have three roots, one real, and two complex. so let's take just real ones from here we get

[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}}>x>\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}}[/tex].

Now using the fact that: [tex]1-\delta<x<1+\delta[/tex] we get: [tex]1-\delta=\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}} \ \ \\ \ and \ \ \\ \ \ 1+\delta=-\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}}[/tex]

Now from here you will be able to find delta, and chose the minimum. That is whicheverone is smaller and positive. But as much as i can see there will be only one such.

I hope this works. I am not sure that what i did is entirely correct, because that polynomial of degree 3 complicated the whole thing. Anyhow i think that this is the idea behind these types of problems.

You know that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} 4+ x- x^3= 2[/itex] because you know that polynomials are continuous and putting x= 1 makes [itex]4+ x- x^3[/itex] equal to 2. That in turn tells you that x= 1 makes [itex]4+ x- x^3 -2[/itex] equal to 0. And that tells you that x-1 is a factor of [itex]2+ x- x^3[/itex]. Then, by dividing, say, you can determine that [itex]2+ x- x^3= (-1)(x- 1)(3x^2+ 3x+ 2)[/itex]. If x is close to 1, we can certainly say that x is between 0 and 2: 0< x< 2 so 0< x2< 4, 0< 3x2< 12, 0< 3x< 6 and, finally, 2< 3x2+ 3x+ 2< 12+ 6+ 2= 20 and so 0< |3x2+ 3x+ 2|< 20. That is, |2+ x- x^3|= |x-1||3x^2+ 3x+ 2|< 20|x-1|.
You can make that less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] by making |x-1| less than [itex]\epsilon/20[/itex] (or 1 whichever is smaller).

HallsofIvy said:
You know that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} 4+ x- x^3= 2[/itex] because you know that polynomials are continuous and putting x= 1 makes [itex]4+ x- x^3[/itex] equal to 2. That in turn tells you that x= 1 makes [itex]4+ x- x^3 -2[/itex] equal to 0. And that tells you that x-1 is a factor of [itex]2+ x- x^3[/itex]. Then, by dividing, say, you can determine that [itex]2+ x- x^3= (-1)(x- 1)(3x^2+ 3x+ 2)[/itex]. If x is close to 1, we can certainly say that x is between 0 and 2: 0< x< 2 so 0< x2< 4, 0< 3x2< 12, 0< 3x< 6 and, finally, 2< 3x2+ 3x+ 2< 12+ 6+ 2= 20 and so 0< |3x2+ 3x+ 2|< 20. That is, |2+ x- x^3|= |x-1||3x^2+ 3x+ 2|< 20|x-1|.
You can make that less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] by making |x-1| less than [itex]\epsilon/20[/itex] (or 1 whichever is smaller).
Well this would be great, only if the OP's polynomial wasn't slightly different from yours here. Your work would be valid if the question at issue actually would be [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} 4+ x- x^3= 2[/tex] while it actually is [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} 4+ x- 3x^3= 2[/tex]

[tex]4+x-3x^{3}[/tex] It is this 3 in front of the cubic that makes things not look that nice.

Last edited:
Oh blast! My eyes are going.

Actually, everything I said is correct for [itex]4+ x- 3x^3[/itex] because that was what I was working with, even though I wrote [itex]4+ x- x^3[/itex] (which obviously does NOT have limit 2 as x goes to 1).
[itex]4+ x- 3x^3= (-1)(x-1)(3x^2+ 3x+ 1)[/itex] and everything I said applies to that.

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point.

What is the precise definition of a limit?

The precise definition of a limit is given by the epsilon-delta definition, which states that the limit of a function at a specific point is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that point, within any desired level of error (epsilon). This can be formally written as: for all epsilon greater than 0, there exists a delta greater than 0 such that for all x within delta of the limit point, the function value is within epsilon of the limit value.

Why is the precise definition of a limit important?

The precise definition of a limit is important because it provides a rigorous and mathematical way to define the concept of a limit, ensuring that there is no ambiguity or confusion. It also allows for the evaluation of limits in more complex and challenging scenarios, such as when dealing with discontinuous or piecewise functions.

What are the common misconceptions about limit problems?

One common misconception about limit problems is that the limit value is the same as the function value at the limit point. However, this is not always the case and the limit value may be different due to the behavior of the function near the limit point. Another misconception is that the limit value is always the same from both sides of the limit point, but this is not true for some functions with jump discontinuities.

How can limit problems be solved?

Limit problems can be solved using various techniques and strategies, such as direct substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. In more complex cases, limit laws, L'Hopital's rule, and Taylor series expansion can also be used. It is important to carefully analyze the behavior of the function near the limit point and consider any special cases that may arise.