Downloading & Installing MiKTeX for University Reports

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation discusses downloading and installing MiKTeX, a windows port of LaTeX, for creating reports and assignments for university. The speaker recommends downloading the basic package and using a tex editor like winEDT. They also mention using Notepad or WinShell as alternatives. To download additional packages, the speaker suggests setting MiKTeX to download them as needed.
qspeechc
Hi all. I'm trying to download MiKTeX. Please note I know absolutely nothing about LaTeX and MiKTeX.
So I went to their page http://miktex.org/2.7/Setup.aspx [Broken]
and clicked on the "Installing the complete MiKTeX system", downloaded the file. Now in the Net Installer, should I choose "Download MiKTeX" or "Install MiKTeX". Do I need LaTeX in addition to this? And should I get the complete or basic package? I only need it to do reports and assignments for university.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
First of all choose "download MikTex". As far as I understand it, MikTex is just a windows port of latex. You're probably best off just downloading the basic package - you can later on set MikTex to download packages when it needs them. After it's downloaded, rerun the installer, then choose "install from repository", and when it asks you for a location, point it to the folder where MikTex was downloaded to. It will then install the basic system.

Once latex is installed, you might want to find some kind of tex editor (you can use notepad if you like, but a tex editor is much easier to use). I'm not sure what freeware version are available, but winEDT is quite popular I guess.

So, after I have downloaded and installed MiKTeX, I need some sort of tex editor, like winEDT? I don't need to download LaTeX? Is the tex editor what will allow me to create files?

EDIT: Does that mean notepad will work?

Last edited:
Nevermind. I figured it out. I'm using WinShell. It's great (so far). Thanks jprO.

One more question: how do I get MiKTeX to download a package? I need amsmath, anyone?

1. How do I download MiKTeX for my university reports?

To download MiKTeX for your university reports, simply go to the official MiKTeX website and click on the "Download" button. Select the appropriate version for your operating system and follow the installation instructions provided.

2. Do I need administrator privileges to install MiKTeX?

Yes, you will need administrator privileges to install MiKTeX on your computer. This is because the installation process involves making changes to your system files and settings.

3. Can I use MiKTeX on multiple computers?

Yes, you can install and use MiKTeX on multiple computers. However, you will need to download and install the software separately on each computer.

4. How do I update MiKTeX to the latest version?

To update MiKTeX to the latest version, open the MiKTeX Console and click on the "Updates" tab. Then, click on the "Check for updates" button and follow the prompts to install any available updates.

5. Can I customize the packages and components during the installation process?

Yes, you can customize the packages and components that are installed during the MiKTeX installation process. Simply select the desired options when prompted during the installation process.