Top Algorithm Design Book Recommendations for Non-CS Programmers

In summary, there are several recommended books for learning about algorithm design, including "The Algorithm Design Manual" and "The Art of Programming" by Knuth. While Knuth's book may be more theoretical, it is considered a classic and worth checking out. It is not necessary to know assembly language to read this book, but having a basic understanding of it may help in understanding some examples. The book is written using an imaginary assembly language, which may be challenging to follow, but it covers a wide range of topics.
ice109
can someone recommend a good algorithm design book? like the end all be all of algo design? so that i don't have to read anything else cause I'm not a cs major just someone who wants to be decent at programming

Technology news on Phys.org
This is probably the "standard" algorithms textbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0262032937/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You might want to wander over to your local university library or bookstore and see which books they have to offer. You'll probably find one that fits your needs.

- Warren

Possibly the most accesible is "The Algorithm Design Manual"

It depends on what you want to do. Carmen or Robert Sedgewick are what you get in an Algorithms class at University.

Do you code for food now? If so, you need to read, starting now, keep on until you die.
Start with 'Art of Programming' by Knuth. If you just want a more nearly cookbook approach Knuth is not for you. Consider Carmen or Robert Sedgewick (two books). If you are into doing maths, consider Numerical Recipes in C.

The problem is that you cannot predict what you employer will want 5 years from now. It's nice to say, "yes, I've seen that and can do basic things with <fill in the blank>".
It's known as being indespensible.

don't code for money yet. something more theoretical would be nice, i know knuth invented tex so i trust his book will be decent so i'll check that out.

wait assembly? do i need to know assembly to be able to read this book?

Last edited:
Not really - go to a library and check out volume 1. See if you can read it.
Tex is based on the concept of Metafont - which is the basis for truetype fonts for example.

ice109 said:
wait assembly? do i need to know assembly to be able to read this book?
You can't really understand how a computer program works without understanding assembler.
TAOCP is written using an assembly language for an imaginary processor which only exists for examples in the book. The new edition uses a new RISC imaginary processor.
That's the good news, the bad news is that if you think the idea of examples in an imaginary assembly language is complicated - wait until you see what the book actaully covers using it !

What is algorithm design and why is it important for non-CS programmers?

Algorithm design is the process of creating step-by-step instructions for solving a specific problem. It is important for non-CS programmers because it helps them think critically and logically, leading to more efficient and effective problem-solving.

What are some recommended books for learning algorithm design for non-CS programmers?

Some highly recommended books for learning algorithm design for non-CS programmers include "Grokking Algorithms" by Aditya Bhargava, "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, and Clifford Stein, and "The Algorithm Design Manual" by Steven S. Skiena.

Do these books require prior knowledge in computer science?

No, these books are specifically designed for non-CS programmers and do not require any prior knowledge in computer science. They provide a beginner-friendly introduction to algorithm design and gradually build upon concepts.

Which book would be best for a beginner in algorithm design?

For beginners, "Grokking Algorithms" by Aditya Bhargava is highly recommended. It uses a visual approach to explain complex algorithms and does not assume any prior knowledge in computer science.

Are there any online resources available for learning algorithm design for non-CS programmers?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning algorithm design for non-CS programmers. Some popular ones are Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on algorithm design.