Determine curren in a 1500 W water heater connected to 220 V

In summary, for a 1500 W heater connected to 220 V, the current is approximately 6.82 A, the resistance is approximately 32.23 ohms, and the thermal energy provided by the heater in 1 hour is approximately 5.4 kWh. The correct formulas to use for these calculations depend on whether the voltage is AC or DC, and whether the current should be measured in rms or peak, and whether the resistance or reactance is needed. It is important to carefully consider all given information and use the appropriate formulas to accurately calculate the desired quantities.
adrianakarad
A 1500 W heater is connected to 220 V. Calculate
a) the current in the heater
b) the resistance of the heater
c) the termal energy provided by the heater in 1 hour

Physics news on Phys.org
Is 220V AC or DC?
If AC;

a) do you want the rms or peak current?
b) the reactance or resistance?
c) did you mean "thermal" energy?

Either way, these question use the very basic formulas for power, voltage and current. Look up the most simplest formulas relating those quantities and attempt the question.
c) tests your understanding of the fundamental definition of power...see what you can find.

Don't know if it should be AC or DC...
a) peak current
b) resistance
c) yes, sorry i meant thermal

Thanks.

adrianakarad said:
Don't know if it should be AC or DC...
a) peak current
b) resistance
c) yes, sorry i meant thermal

Thanks.

It'll probably be best if you list down the formula's you think you should use, and attempt it..we can tell you if your on the right track then..

Sounds like a DC problem to me, just because no other information was given (or at least given in your post)

1. What is the formula for determining current in a 1500 W water heater connected to 220 V?

The formula for determining current in a circuit is I = P/V, where I is the current in amps, P is the power in watts, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How much current does a 1500 W water heater draw when connected to 220 V?

Using the formula I = P/V, we can calculate the current to be 1500/220 = 6.82 amps.

3. Is 220 V the standard voltage for a water heater?

No, the standard voltage for a water heater can vary depending on the location and type of water heater. However, 220 V is a common voltage used for larger water heaters.

4. Can I use a higher voltage for my 1500 W water heater?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher voltage than the rated voltage for your water heater. Doing so can cause damage to the heater and potentially be a safety hazard.

5. How does the current change if I increase the power of my water heater?

If you increase the power of your water heater, the current will also increase, assuming the voltage remains constant. This is because the higher power requires more energy, which is measured in amps.