Resonant RLC Circuit Homework - Purcell 8.4

In summary, the problem is to find the equation analogous to Eq 2 for a resonant circuit with a parallel dissipative element and determine the conditions on the solution. The circuit is represented by a crude drawing with a capacitor, resistor R', and inductor L. The equations used to derive Eq 2 are I = -dQ/dt, Q = CV, V(inductor) = L(dI/dt), and V(resistor) = IR. The first step is to set up two loops and combine them to get an equation involving both I_{1} and I_{2}. This will eventually lead to finding the relationship between I_{1} and I_{2} and determining the conditions on the solution.
tjd_maximum

Homework Statement

Purcell 8.4: In the resonant circuit of the figure(I'll reproduce the image below) the dissipative element is a resistor R' connected in parallel, rather than in series, with the LC combination. Work out the equation analogous to Eq 2. (d^2V/dt^2 + (R/L)(dV/dt) + (1/LC)V = 0, this was for a series circuit), which applies to this circuit. Find also the conditions on the solution analogous to those that hold in the series RLC circuit. If a series RLC and a parallel R'LC circuit have the same L, C, and Q, how must R' be related to R

Crude drawing of the circuit:
_____C___
|________|
|____R'__ |
|________|
|____L___|
(ignore the white lines)

Homework Equations

Well, in deriving Eq 2 the book uses the following equations:
I = -dQ/dt
Q = CV
V(inductor) = L(dI/dt)
V(resistor) = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I really only think I need help on the first part of the problem (finding the differential equation).
The problem that arises from the fact that the I over R' is different from the I over L and that the proportion changes (I(R') + I(L) = I(total) but all of these change don't they? The capacitor runs out of charge and the Inductor depends on the changing current.
Any push in the right direction would be appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have made a little progress.

Loop 1:
When V is Q/C
V = I[tex]_{1}[/tex]R
0 = I[tex]_{1}[/tex]R - V

Loop 2:
V = LdI[tex]_{2}[/tex]/dt
0 = LdI[tex]_{2}[/tex]/dt - V

Combining:
I[tex]_{1}[/tex]R = LdI[tex]_{2}[/tex]/dt
(I'm having a problem with latex it seems, those superscripts are supposed to be subscripts)

Now, this looks like it may end up giving me I[tex]_{1}[/tex] in terms of I[tex]_{2}[/tex], but that's not really what I'm looking for. . . I suppose I may be able to re-plug into one of these equations when I'm done. Does this seem right at all?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of resonance in RLC circuits. In a series RLC circuit, the inductive reactance of the inductor and the capacitive reactance of the capacitor cancel each other out at the resonant frequency, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This leads to a peak in the current and a minimum in the impedance of the circuit.

In a parallel R'LC circuit, the resistor R' is connected in parallel with the LC combination. This means that the current will split into two branches, one through the LC combination and one through the resistor R'. At resonance, the current through the LC combination will be maximum, while the current through the resistor R' will be minimum. This is because the inductive reactance of the inductor and the capacitive reactance of the capacitor will cancel each other out in the LC branch, leaving only the resistance of the resistor R' in the other branch.

Now, to derive the differential equation for this circuit, we can use Kirchhoff's laws. The current through the LC branch can be written as I(LC) = V/C, where V is the voltage across the LC combination. The current through the resistor R' can be written as I(R') = V/R'. Using Kirchhoff's current law, we can write the total current as I(total) = I(LC) + I(R'). At resonance, the total current will be maximum, so we can write I(total) = V/R' = I(LC) + I(R'), which gives us V/R' = V/C + V/R'. Rearranging this equation, we get V = (1/R' + 1/C)V. Now, using the equation V = L(dI/dt), we can write L(dI/dt) = (1/R' + 1/C)V. Substituting in the values for V and I(LC), we get L(dI/dt) = (1/R' + 1/C)(I(LC)/C). Simplifying this equation, we get L(dI/dt) = (I(LC)/R'C). Now, using the equation I = -dQ/dt and Q = CV, we can write I(LC) = -d(CV)/dt. Substituting this into our equation, we get L(dI/dt) = (-d(CV)/dt

1. What is a resonant RLC circuit?

A resonant RLC circuit is an electric circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) in series, and is capable of resonating at a specific frequency. This means that the circuit is able to store and release energy at a certain frequency, resulting in a higher amplitude of current and voltage.

2. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency (f) of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads. Alternatively, if the values of R, L, and C are known, the resonant frequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC(1/L + 1/C))).

3. What is the significance of the resonant frequency in an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency is significant because it is the frequency at which the circuit will resonate and exhibit a maximum amplitude of current and voltage. This frequency is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor in the circuit and can be used in applications such as filtering and frequency selection.

4. How do you analyze the behavior of a resonant RLC circuit?

The behavior of a resonant RLC circuit can be analyzed using circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and impedance calculations. The impedance of the circuit (Z) at the resonant frequency can be calculated using the formula Z = R + j(Xl - Xc), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. The phase angle of the circuit at the resonant frequency can also be calculated using the formula tanΦ = Xl/Xc.

5. What are some applications of resonant RLC circuits?

Resonant RLC circuits have various applications in electronics and electrical engineering, such as in radio and television tuners, bandpass filters, and oscillators. They are also used in power systems for frequency selection and power factor correction. Additionally, resonant RLC circuits are used in medical equipment for imaging and therapy.