How can I create an animation from data in DevC++?

• Thread starter Lojzek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animation
In summary, the conversation discusses creating an animation from data generated by a program in DevC++ that calculates the movement of an inelastic string in the field of gravity. The options suggested include using a plotting tool like gnuplot or VPython, or using a tool like ImageMagick to string together files into an animation. The person asking the question also mentions exporting animations from Mathematica using the Export command.
Lojzek
I finished a program in DevC++ that calculates the movement of inelastic string in the field of gravity: it calculates coordinates of n points on the string at m diferent times.

I would like to use this data to make an animation, that would be independent of any program (so that I could sent it by e-mail). What is the easiest way to do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Plot in gnuplot or something similar and save the plot to a file [e.g. png file].
Alternatively, write a short program in VPython and do a screencapture [with PIL?] to a file (or use a tool like SnagIt).
Use some tool (ImageMagick?) to string together the files together into an animation.

Thanks for the answer. I usually display results in Mathematica, so I have exported animation form there. The command which creates .gif animation file is

Export["name.gif",data,ConversionOptions -> {"Loop" -> True}]

, where data is a list of graphic objects. I also tried with .png but it only works for a single object (pictures), not for lists (animations).

1. How do I get started with making an animation?

To get started with making an animation, you will need to have a basic understanding of animation principles and techniques. You can start by researching different animation software and deciding which one best suits your needs and budget. Once you have chosen a software, you can begin learning how to use its tools and features through tutorials and practice.

2. What are the key elements of a good animation?

The key elements of a good animation are a strong concept and story, appealing character designs, smooth and believable movement, and attention to detail in the animation and sound effects. It is also important to have a good understanding of timing and pacing to create a sense of rhythm and flow in your animation.

3. Do I need to know how to draw to make an animation?

While having drawing skills can be helpful in creating animations, it is not a requirement. There are many animation software programs that offer tools and features to help you create animations without needing to draw. You can also collaborate with artists or use pre-made assets to create your animations.

4. How long does it take to make an animation?

The time it takes to make an animation can vary greatly depending on the complexity and length of the animation, as well as your level of experience. It can take anywhere from a few days to several months to complete an animation. It is important to plan and schedule your time effectively to ensure a timely and efficient production process.

5. Can I make an animation on my own or do I need a team?

It is possible to create an animation on your own, but having a team can be beneficial in terms of sharing the workload and bringing different skills and perspectives to the project. If you are working on a larger and more complex animation, it is recommended to have a team to ensure a high-quality final product. However, if you are creating a smaller and simpler animation, you can definitely do it on your own.