What Speed Range is Safe for a Car on a Wet, Banked Curve?

In summary: In the case with friction, you will need to use both the angle of the bank and the force of friction to determine the safe speed.)In summary, a curve with a radius of 60m and a coefficient of static friction of 0.3 can safely be navigated at speeds between 23.3m/s and 31.7m/s (83.9km/hr and 114.1km/hr). The angle of the road must be 52.6° for the car to safely navigate the curve at its maximum speed of 31.7m/s. Without friction, the normal force and weight will not be equal and the acceleration will be in the direction of the normal force.
Hydroshock

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 60m is banked for a design speed of 100km/h. If the coefficient of static friction is 0.3 (wet pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely make the curve?

v = 100km/hr = 27.8m/s
x = ?
r = 60m
a_r = 12.9m/s²
u = 0.3

Homework Equations

tan(x) = v²/rg
a_r = v²/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The part I'm stuck at is I know I'm missing an equation. The one that mass cancels out to find how the forces can give me the max speed etc. with the coefficient of friction.

tan(x) = (27.8)²/(60)(9.8) = 1.31
x = 52.6°

a_r = (27.8)²/60 = 12.9m/s²

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't go equation hunting; instead, draw a free body diagram showing all forces acting (including friction) for the two cases. Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

(An important first step is to solve for the angle of the road--and you've done that. Good.)

Alright, well to help myself out on drawing a free body diagram I made a nominal mass of 1000kg (although I do realize it's possible to do without one). so I got [tex]F_N = (1000)(9.8)sin(52.6) = 12900N [/tex] which in turn the force is the same as [tex]F_R[/tex] which is something I didn't exactly know was meant to happen. Although makes sense as it makes the speed for no friction.

(I'm taking an online course and I find just teaching myself from the book confusing as the work I'm meant to do isn't from the book)

So with [tex]F_N[/tex] I found [tex]F_fr = (.3)(12900) = 3870N[/tex]

From there I added and subtracted the forces to give me max and min for no slipping.

[tex]F_m_a_x = 16770N = (1000kg)A_r = 16.77m/s^2 = v^2/60m[/tex]
[tex]F_m_i_n = 9030N = (1000kg)A_r = 9.03m/s^2 = v^2/60m[/tex]

so

[tex]v_m_a_x = 31.7m/s = 114.1km/hr[/tex]
[tex]v_m_i_n = 23.3m/s = 83.9km/hr[/tex]

I think I did that right? =)

Hi Hydroshock,

I believe there are some problems with your calculations.

From your free body diagram for the first case (no friction), which direction is the acceleration in? (Here the normal force will not equal the perpendicular component of the weight.) Which direction is the normal force and weight in? Once you have those, choose components perpendicular and parallel to the acceleration and then use [itex]F_{{\rm net},x}=m a_x[/itex] for the x direction and similarly for the y direction.

The point of the case without friction is to find the angle that the road is banked at, so that you can use that angle for the other two cases.

1. What causes friction on a banked curve?

Friction on a banked curve is caused by the force of the tires against the surface of the road. As the vehicle turns, the tires push against the road surface, creating a resistance force known as friction.

2. How does the angle of the banked curve affect friction?

The angle of the banked curve can affect the amount of friction present. A steeper banked curve creates a greater normal force, which increases friction. However, if the angle is too steep, it can lead to sliding or loss of traction.

3. How does speed affect friction on a banked curve?

At higher speeds, there is a greater centripetal force (the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path) acting on the vehicle, which can increase friction and help the vehicle stay on the banked curve. However, if the speed is too high, it can cause the vehicle to slide or lose control.

4. What are the factors that can affect the amount of friction on a banked curve?

Aside from the angle and speed, other factors that can affect the amount of friction on a banked curve include the weight and distribution of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, and the type of tires being used.

5. How can friction on a banked curve be reduced or increased?

To reduce friction on a banked curve, the angle can be decreased or the speed can be lowered. To increase friction, the angle can be increased or the speed can be increased (up to a certain point). Additionally, adjusting the weight distribution of the vehicle and using appropriate tires can also affect the amount of friction present.