Capacitance and electric fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitance for a parallel-plate capacitor and a cylindrical capacitor. The first speaker is confused about the use of superposition in the calculation and questions why the electric field is not multiplied by 2 for the cylindrical capacitor. The second speaker clarifies that the electric field is not between two cylinders, but between a cylinder and a pipe, which explains the difference in calculation.
Niles
[SOLVED] Capacitance and electric fields

Homework Statement

I want to find the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor consisting of two metal surfaces og area A held a distance d apart.

First I find the electric field, which I know is [tex]\frac{\sigma }{{2\varepsilon }}[/tex]. Then I use that the potential is the line integral from minus-charge plate to positive-charge plate of electric field, so

[tex]V = \frac{\sigma }{{2\varepsilon }}d[/tex]

But in my book they do not divide by 2. This is because they have used superposition, which is OK - I agree with that.

Next, we consider the following:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capcyl.html#c2

Here they have used the electric field for |one| cylinder, they have not used superposition. This I do not agree with - we are still between the cylinders, so why do we not multiply by 2 here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, right.. because the charge inside our gaussian surface is the charge coming from the "inside-cylinder"...

I get it now. Thanks

Actually the electric field is not between two cylinders, but it is in between a cylinder and a pipe, so it is not the same case as two parallel capacitors.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electric charge. It is defined as the ratio of the electric charge stored on an object to the potential difference (voltage) across the object.

2. How is capacitance related to electric fields?

Capacitance is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field between two conductive surfaces. A higher capacitance means a stronger electric field and vice versa.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of an object depends on its size, shape, and the material it is made of. A larger surface area, smaller distance between conductive surfaces, and higher permittivity of the material will result in a higher capacitance.

4. How is capacitance measured?

Capacitance is measured using a device called a capacitor. The capacitor consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. The amount of charge stored on the plates and the voltage across the plates can be measured to calculate the capacitance.

5. What are some applications of capacitance and electric fields?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications, including energy storage in electronic devices, power factor correction in electrical systems, and filtering and tuning in electronic circuits. Electric fields are also important in telecommunications, as they are used to transmit and receive signals through antennas.