Calculating the volume and lateral area of cones

In summary: The conversation between two people discussing different methods of calculating the volume and lateral area of cones, one using disks and the other using triangles. The conversation concludes that the distance through which a triangle "sweeps" when moved by an angle d\theta is not constant, leading to different results when summing the hypotenuse of the triangle or the circumference of the disks. In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of calculating the volume and lateral area of cones, one using disks and the other using triangles. It is concluded that the distance through which a triangle "sweeps" when moved by an angle d\theta is not constant, resulting in different results when summing the hypotenuse of the triangle or the circumference of the disks.
TheBaker
This is probably just me being a bit of an idiot (I'm going to blame exam stress), but why do the following ways of calculating the volume and lateral area of cones produce different results?

I'll use the following equation of a cone to demonstrate:

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = \frac{9}{4}z^2[/tex] (Valid for [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/tex])

Volume - Summing Disks

[tex]V = \int_0^1 \pi r^2 dz = \int_0^1 \frac{9\pi}{4}z^2 dz = \frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]

This is the correct answer. However, if instead of summing disks from bottom to top, I sum triangles around the cone...

Volume - Summing Triangles

[tex]A = \frac{1}{2} \mbox{base} \times \mbox{height} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Then, integrating this around a circle to form a cone I get:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{3}{4} d\theta = \frac{3 \pi}{2}[/tex]

This is twice as large as the (correct) volume found the other way, but conceptually I can't see where I've made a mistake. A similar thing happens for the surface area - when you sum the hypotenuse of the triangle or the circumference of the disks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The distance through which a triangle "sweeps" when moved by an angle [itex]d\theta[/itex] is not constant- in particular, it is not [itex]d\theta[/itex] (which is not a distance to begin with). It varies with distance from the z-axis as [itex]r d\theta[/itex].

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cone?

To calculate the volume of a cone, you can use the formula V = 1/3 * π * r^2 * h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

2. Can you explain the concept of lateral area of a cone?

The lateral area of a cone refers to the surface area of the curved side of the cone. It does not include the area of the base. To calculate the lateral area, you can use the formula LA = π * r * l, where LA is the lateral area, π is pi, r is the radius of the base, and l is the slant height of the cone.

3. How is the volume of a cone related to its height?

The volume of a cone is directly proportional to its height. This means that as the height of the cone increases, the volume also increases. Similarly, if the height decreases, the volume also decreases. This relationship can be seen in the volume formula V = 1/3 * π * r^2 * h, where h is the height.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate the volume of any cone?

Yes, the formula V = 1/3 * π * r^2 * h can be used to calculate the volume of any cone, regardless of its size or dimensions. The only variables you need to know are the radius of the base and the height of the cone.

5. How can I check if my calculations for the volume and lateral area of a cone are correct?

To check if your calculations are correct, you can use the known values of the cone (such as the radius and height) and plug them into the formulas for volume and lateral area. If the results match your calculations, then your answers are likely correct. Additionally, you can use online calculators or ask a colleague to double-check your work.