Velocity and Acceleration Question

In summary, velocity refers to an object's speed and direction while acceleration refers to the change in velocity over time. Velocity is calculated by dividing distance by time, and instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment while average velocity is the total displacement divided by total time. Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's speed depending on its direction. The units of measurement for velocity and acceleration are meters per second (m/s) and meters per second squared (m/s^2) respectively.
mossfan563

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis depends on the time according to the equation x = c(t^5) - b(t^7), where x is in meters and t in seconds. Let c and b have numerical values 2.6 m/s5 and 1.3 m/s7, respectively. From t = 0.0 s to t = 1.8 s, (a) what is the displacement of the particle? Find its velocity at times (b) 1.0 s, (c) 2.0 s, (d) 3.0 s, and (e) 4.0 s. Find its acceleration at (f) 1.0 s, (g) 2.0 s, (h) 3.0 s, and (i) 4.0 s.

2. The attempt at a solution
Do I try to take the derivative to try and get the velocity and acceleration answers?
And how do I find the displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
mossfan563 said:

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis depends on the time according to the equation x = c(t^5) - b(t^7), where x is in meters and t in seconds. Let c and b have numerical values 2.6 m/s5 and 1.3 m/s7, respectively. From t = 0.0 s to t = 1.8 s, (a) what is the displacement of the particle? Find its velocity at times (b) 1.0 s, (c) 2.0 s, (d) 3.0 s, and (e) 4.0 s. Find its acceleration at (f) 1.0 s, (g) 2.0 s, (h) 3.0 s, and (i) 4.0 s.2. The attempt at a solution
Do I try to take the derivative to try and get the velocity and acceleration answers?
And how do I find the displacement?

The displacement should be found by using the position function f(t) = x = c*t5 - b*t7 and then determining the difference between the two positions at the times given.

As to the rest of your question if velocity is [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] and acceleration is [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] then taking derivatives looks like a sound approach and then plug in the points asked for.

Yes, taking the derivative with respect to time will give you the velocity and acceleration at different times. To find the displacement, you can use the formula s=vt, where s is the displacement, v is the velocity, and t is the time. So for part (a), you can plug in the values for t=0.0 s and t=1.8 s into the equation and subtract the two to find the displacement. For parts (b)-(e), you can plug in the given values of time into the derivative of the position equation to find the velocity at those specific times. For parts (f)-(i), you can take the derivative of the velocity equation to find the acceleration at those specific times.

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity refers to the rate at which an object changes its position, while acceleration refers to the rate at which an object changes its velocity. In other words, velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by an object by the total time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v=d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took to make that displacement. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's speed, depending on its direction. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its motion, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its motion, it will slow down.

What is the unit of measurement for velocity and acceleration?

The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s), while the unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used depending on the context.