Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with evaluating the classical action of a harmonic oscillator using the Euler-Lagrange equations. The Lagrangian and classical action formulas are provided, along with the person's attempt using a specific form of x(t) and velocity. A hint is given to use integration by parts to evaluate the integral and to consider the relationship between the second derivative of x and x for a harmonic oscillator.
DeclanTKatt

Homework Statement

Hello. I am attempting to evaluate the classical action of a harmonic oscillator by using the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Homework Equations

The Lagrangian for such an oscillator is

$$ L=(1/2)m(\dot{x}^2-\omega^2 x^2) $$

This is easy enough to solve for. The classical action is defined by $$ S_{cl} = \int L dt$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the answer is, but I am having difficulty achieving it. So far I have used:
$$x=\sin (\omega t) $$
$$\dot{x}=\omega \cos(\omega t)$$

Substituted these into the Lagrangian and then integrated, with respect to t, for the classical action. This did not provide the proper results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
DeclanTKatt said:
So far I have used:
x=sin⁡(ωt)
x˙=ωcos⁡(ωt)
That is not the most general form of x(t) and the velocity.

Just try to evaulate this integral ##\displaystyle \dfrac{m}{2} \int (\dot x{}^2 -\omega^2 x^2) \mathrm{d} t ##

Hint: calculate this first ##\displaystyle \int \dot x{}^2 \mathrm{d} t ## using integration by parts.
After that, you could figure out a way how to go further, hint number 2: what is the relation between ##\ddot x## and ##x## for an HO?

Likes Delta2

1. What is the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator?

The Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a harmonic oscillator in classical mechanics. It is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over the time period of the oscillator's motion.

2. How is the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator calculated?

The Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator is calculated by finding the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of the oscillator, and then integrating this difference over the time period of the motion.

3. What is the significance of the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator?

The Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator is significant because it allows us to calculate the total energy of the oscillator and to understand the behavior of the system over time. It also allows us to make predictions about the future motion of the oscillator.

4. How does the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator is used to calculate the probability of the oscillator being in a particular state. This probability is then used to describe the behavior of the oscillator in terms of wavefunctions and energy levels.

5. Can the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator be applied to other systems?

Yes, the Classical Action for Harmonic Oscillator can be applied to any system that exhibits simple harmonic motion, such as a pendulum or a mass-spring system. It can also be extended to more complex systems by using other mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory.