Suggested Books on Superstring Theory for Beginners

In summary, Andrew is looking for book recommendations on superstring theory, as it is a topic that he finds interesting but often struggles to understand. He is open to both introductory and advanced books, as well as online resources. Some suggestions include "The Elegant Universe" by B. Greene, "String Theory" by J. Polchinsky, and "Superstring Theory" by M.B. Green, J.H. Schwarz, and E. Witten. Andrew also mentions having read "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, as well as "Beyond Einstein" by Michio Kaku. He is open to any additional suggestions.
AndyCiep
hi! I was just wondering what books are available that you guys would suggest as a good "first book" or introduction to the topic of superstring theory. It's very interesting stuff to me, but unfortunately its also often over my head. :frown:

thanks for any suggestions!
_Andrew

ps - I'd even be happy with "avoid the following books" responses.. at least that would prevent me from wasting time (and/or money) at the bookstore with something that probably won't help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how good your elementary physics is..
But I'd suggest The Elegant Universe (B.Greene) to everyone.
This is a book without formulas..

A more advanced book is
J. Polchinsky, String Theory.

Also this one is quite good (in fact it are two volumes):
M.B. Green, J.H. Schwarz, E. Witten, Superstring Theory.

Some online stuff:
http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/GraduateAdmissions/greene/greene.html
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/jhs/strings/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I've heard of The Elegant Universe. I think that's one I'll check out soon. And yeah, if it helps - my elementary physics knowledge is quite good, but I've never taken any advanced physics classes. Just did well in general physics 1 and 2.

I also should have mentioned that I've already read:
A Brief History of Time (Hawking)
The Universe in a Nutshell (Hawking) - bit confusing, but fun.
Beyond Einstein - Michio Kaku

Anymore suggestions? All are welcome!

1. What is superstring theory?

Superstring theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain all fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as tiny vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. Why is it important for beginners to study superstring theory?

Superstring theory is one of the most promising theories for a "Theory of Everything" that can unify all of physics and provide a deeper understanding of the universe. Studying it can help beginners gain a foundational understanding of modern physics and potentially contribute to groundbreaking research in the field.

3. What are some recommended books for beginners to learn about superstring theory?

Some popular books for beginners on superstring theory include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene, "String Theory for Dummies" by Andrew Zimmerman Jones, and "The Cosmic Landscape" by Leonard Susskind.

4. Do I need a background in physics to understand superstring theory?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand superstring theory. Many books on the subject are written for a general audience and provide clear explanations and illustrations to help beginners grasp the concepts.

5. Are there any online resources or lectures available for beginners interested in superstring theory?

Yes, there are many online resources and lectures available for beginners interested in superstring theory. Some recommended websites include the Official String Theory Website, the String Theory YouTube channel, and the Stanford Online Introductory Course on Superstring Theory.