Friction Help finding the coefficent of static friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of static friction between a 5.0 kg box and a horizontal concrete floor, given a force of 48.0 N is required to start the box moving. The equation Ffr max = us(mg) is used to solve for the coefficient, with a resulting value of 0.98. The second part of the question asks for the force required to accelerate the box at 0.7 m/s² without any friction, which can be determined using Newton's second law (F=ma). The conversation concludes with reassurance that the concept will become clearer with further explanation.
Jazzybelle4

Homework Statement

A force of 48.0 N is required to start a 5.0 kg box moving across a horizontal concrete floor. (a) what is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor?
(b) if the 48.0N force continues the box accelerates at 0.70m/sec2. what is the coefficient of kinetic friction

I have no idea how to set up up problem (a), all i know is the Ffr=us(mg)

Physics news on Phys.org
You assume the force that moves the box is only just enough to overcome static friction and thus you can set the max force of static friction equal to the force applied to the box.

so then the equation set up would look like:
Ffr max= us(mg)
48N=us(mg)

Yes. You can then find the coefficient.

I found the coefficient it is .98 now i do not know what to do at all for the second part of the question (b)

What force would be required to accelerate the box at that rate without any friction?

any force about 48.0? there will always be friction. the coefficient needs to be smaller at .98

What about Newton's second law. You can work out the force required to make a mass the same as the box accelerate at the value you're given. How does that compare to the force you're having to use?

second law is
F=ma
48=m(.70)
I am so lost... my teacher doesn't explain anything

You're finding the force required to accelerate a 5 kg mass at 0.7 ms[su[]-2[/sup]. You don't need the 48 in there. Hang in there all will become clear. :wink:

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the maximum frictional force that can be exerted between two surfaces in contact without causing motion, to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction measured?

The coefficient of static friction is typically measured using an inclined plane experiment, where the angle of the plane is gradually increased until the object on the plane begins to slide. The coefficient of static friction can then be calculated using the angle of the plane and the known weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the coefficient of static friction.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction represents the maximum frictional force that can be exerted between two surfaces without causing motion, while the coefficient of kinetic friction represents the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact when one is already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it allows us to predict whether or not an object will remain at rest or begin to move on a surface. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure that surfaces have enough friction to prevent slipping or sliding, but not so much that it causes excessive wear and tear on the surfaces.