Basic aerodynamics and mechanics

In summary, John D. Anderson is a great resource for beginning aircraft mechanics. He has a basic understanding of aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures, and his book "Computational Fluid Dynamics, The basics with applications" is a good starting point for more complicated aircraft designs.
0kensai0
I'm a Chemistry Postgrad. I wish to learn about the basics of flight, aerodynamics and mechanics merely as a hobby. I wish to learn about aircraft principles and calculations and how to determine whether a specific aircraft will fly and at what speeds given some measurements such as wing area and propellor speed or engine speed and hope to progress to more complicated flight systems such as turboprops or jet engines and helicopter flight mechanics

I was wondering which textbook would be a good starting point for me as I only have a basic physics background and have not studied anything in aero or mechanics engineering at all.

thanx b4hand

PS: I'm currently searching through both the net and my local university library but it would be nice to have a course recognise textbook as I feel they usually have a good structure about them to guide how my understanding should progress

Physics news on Phys.org
intro to flight by anderson is a great resource, used it through senior year in aerospace engineering.
has basic aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, rockets, etc.

helicopters, on the other hand, are slightly more complicated. the basic principles, structure, propulsion etc... are relatively straightforward (relatively...) the stability and control, is not. almost always helicopters are unstable in all 3 axes, where airplanes (with the exception of modern fighters) are stable in all 3 axes

John D. Anderson is the king of flows. Also, if you dare to venture into how real life design is done on aircraft you might want to obtain a copy of "Computational Fluid Dynamics, The basics with applications" also by John D. Anderson.

CFDFEAGURU said:
John D. Anderson is the king of flows.

Man I've given that guy a lot of money...

minger said:
Man I've given that guy a lot of money...

He thanks you! (Though he's hardly ever in his office on campus).

What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air moves around objects. In basic aerodynamics, we focus on the forces that act on an object as it moves through the air, such as lift, drag, and thrust.

How is lift generated?

Lift is generated by the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom of an object, such as an airplane wing. The shape of the object and the angle at which it meets the air (known as the angle of attack) also play a role in lift generation.

What is drag?

Drag is the force that opposes motion through the air. It is caused by the resistance of the air as it flows over and around an object. The shape and size of the object, as well as the speed at which it is moving, affect the amount of drag.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, with air particles moving in parallel layers. Turbulent flow is chaotic, with air particles moving in all different directions. Laminar flow is more efficient and produces less drag, while turbulent flow can cause more drag and instability.

How do mechanics play a role in aerodynamics?

Mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion, play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in the air. These laws help us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its movement and stability.