The ever elusive free energy device

In summary, the conversation revolves around a proposed "free energy" device that harnesses gravity and buoyancy to generate excess energy. The device is met with skepticism and is ultimately deemed impossible due to its violation of the Laws of Thermodynamics. The conversation also touches on the topic of perpetual motion devices and the restrictions on discussing them in certain forums.
crhurd
The ever elusive "free energy" device...

Hello. Let me begin by stating that I have no formal physics/science training, and am not here to wear a tin foil hat, close my eyes and claim that I've solved the worlds problems. That being said... I have a theory, and I'd like to be told why it wouldn't work.

I'm going to stray from the typical approach of magneticism or the use of electricity as the sole source of energy creation... I can't seem to find any method to effectively generate excess energy with maginets alone... and it seems that the only way to "produce" excess energy from an electrical driven source is by improperly measuring watts vs volts etc...

That being established, here is my theory. Can excess energy be generated by harnessing gravity along with boyancy? See the attached (very rough) drawing of my theory.

The device that would travel through the system would be part magnet, and part air pocket (for buoyancy). As it passes through the coils it would generate energy... the beauty of the system is that you can elongate coils 1 and 2 until you generate more energy than what Energy Points 1 and 2 actually use.

Thoughts? I know it's impossible... I know it violates the laws of Thermodynamics, etc... etc... but I can't see why this model wouldn't work, and need to be shown why my model would not work (OTHER than the simple assumption that it's impossible).

Thanks!

Attachments

• test 1.bmp
    230.5 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org

I assume you intend for this device to operate cyclically; otherwise, your power output is going to be approximately zero over time. What are the energy requirements to move the object from the top of the water column to the top of the air column and from the bottom of the air column to the bottom of the water column? You can't ignore these in your analysis.

This is another variant of the bouyant perpetual motion device. You need to exert a force to push the load beneath the surface of the liquid at energy point 2. And bear in mind that by Lenz law, when the load rises or falls at either sides of the loop, the induced emf would generate a counter magnetic field which retards the movement of the load. Think of it as magnetic friction. This makes it even harder for the load to be pushed underwater.

Anyway threads on perpetual motion devices are banned here. I'm kind of surprised your attachment got approved in the first place.

Mapes said:
I assume you intend for this device to operate cyclically; otherwise, your power output is going to be approximately zero over time. What are the energy requirements to move the object from the top of the water column to the top of the air column and from the bottom of the air column to the bottom of the water column? You can't ignore these in your analysis.

Yes, that's correct... the expenditure of energy would be in the "valve" at the bottom of coil 1 (this could potentiall be designed to not expend energy? possibly utilizing the weight of the magnet/air capsule to open the valve?)...

The energy usage would be primarily at the Energy Point 2, and it would involve moving the object from the Coil 2 (which has water in order to float the devie through coil 2) back to Coil 1 in order to begin the cycle again. The two major motions would be opening the top of the container (which would need to have been closed so that there was no back pressure after the object hits the first "valve") and the second movement would be transferring the device from Coil 2 back to Coil 1.

I don't know enough of the math or science to actually generate an exact amount of energy that I believe it would take for the top part of the machine... I am curious, however, if I can not exceed that amount of energy by elongating the coils since I can effectively generate a higher distance (thus more energy) while keeping the energy expenditure constant (the coil 2 to 1 transfer).

Am I correct in my thinking? If not, where am I making my mistake? Or is it impossible to generate a relevant amount of energy through gravity alone? (ie; my device would have to be an impossible height in order to even match the energy expended to move from 2 to 1).

Defennder said:
This is another variant of the bouyant perpetual motion device. You need to exert a force to push the load beneath the surface of the liquid at energy point 2. And bear in mind that by Lenz law, when the load rises or falls at either sides of the loop, the induced emf would generate a counter magnetic field which retards the movement of the load. Think of it as magnetic friction. This makes it even harder for the load to be pushed underwater.

Anyway threads on perpetual motion devices are banned here. I'm kind of surprised your attachment got approved in the first place.

Sorry... I didn't realize that they were banned! I'll gladly remove/delete my posts...

crhurd said:
... I know it violates the laws of Thermodynamics, etc... etc... but I can't see why this model wouldn't work, and need to be shown why my model would not work (OTHER than the simple assumption that it's impossible).

You've answered your own question. It won't work because it violates the Laws of Thermodynamics! :wink:

BTW, I believe you can post this type of question in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5" subforum.

The rules of this forum can be found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374".

CS

Last edited by a moderator:

crhurd said:
...the beauty of the system is that you can elongate coils 1 and 2 until you generate more energy than what Energy Points 1 and 2 actually use.

crhurd said:
I don't know enough of the math or science to actually generate an exact amount of energy that I believe it would take for the top part of the machine... I am curious, however, if I can not exceed that amount of energy by elongating the coils since I can effectively generate a higher distance (thus more energy) while keeping the energy expenditure constant (the coil 2 to 1 transfer).

You've said this a couple times, but I'm not buying it. How does the mass get back underwater? By a door or airlock? This process takes more, not less, energy as the tube height increases, because the water pressure scales with height.

(I realize that you're not advocating perpetual motion or over-unity devices here, but rather trying to understand the flaw in your reasoning via standard physics. I hope this discussion helps.)

stewartcs said:
BTW, I believe you can post this type of question in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5" subforum.

Actually, you can't. S&D forum is not meant to debunk something that clearly violates current understanding of how our physical world works.

I believe this thread has sufficiently addressed the OP and thus, it is done.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just $.02 more: Based on your statements, you seem to realize this violates the known laws of physics, yet you still seem to think the device could be made to work. This confuses me. The best way out of this mess, though, is to educate yourself about science, enough to figure out for yourself why such things are fundamentally flawed. Then, not only will you have gained some knowledge, you'll be able to avoid wasting your time pursuing things that can't possibly work. Here's a site that analyzes such devices and does a pretty good job of explaining the physical principles involved: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

1. What is a free energy device?

A free energy device is a hypothetical machine that is able to produce energy without requiring any external input. This would essentially violate the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

2. Is it possible to create a free energy device?

According to current scientific understanding, it is not possible to create a free energy device. The laws of thermodynamics are well-established and have been rigorously tested, and there is no evidence to suggest that they can be violated.

3. Why are there so many claims about free energy devices?

There are a variety of reasons for the abundance of claims about free energy devices. Some may be the result of misunderstanding or misinterpretation of scientific principles, while others may be outright scams. Additionally, some individuals may genuinely believe they have created a free energy device, but have not properly tested or demonstrated its capabilities.

4. Have any free energy devices been successfully created?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a working free energy device. Many individuals and companies have claimed to have created such devices, but these claims have not been substantiated by reliable, independent testing.

5. Why do some people continue to believe in free energy devices despite the lack of evidence?

Belief in free energy devices can stem from a variety of factors, including the desire for a cheap and abundant source of energy, mistrust of mainstream science and government, and the appeal of conspiracy theories. It is important to approach claims about free energy devices with critical thinking and to rely on scientific evidence rather than personal beliefs.