Thomson Model Scattering Curve

In summary, the Thomson Model Scattering Curve is a plot that shows the relationship between the angle of scattering and the intensity of scattered radiation for a beam of alpha particles passing through a thin gold foil, as predicted by J.J. Thomson's atomic model. Thomson developed this model by studying the results of his experiments on the scattering of alpha particles by thin metal foils, and it supports his atomic model that proposed a positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons embedded in it. The Thomson Model Scattering Curve and the Rutherford Scattering Curve have similar shapes, but the latter shows a higher percentage of particles being deflected due to Rutherford's atomic model proposing a small, positively charged nucleus at the center of the atom. However, the Thomson Model
sranjan
Hello,

For a course in experimental physics I need to obtain a curve of alpha-particle scattering as predicted by the Thomson model* (i.e. the plum pudding model). I am allowed to look this up so long as it is from a reputable source and I cite it. Does anyone know where I can find such a curve?

Also, if you help me I would appreciate it if you could give me some way of acknowledging you in my paper.

Thanks!

*So I can do a fit against data and show poor fit

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions out there?

1. What is the Thomson Model Scattering Curve?

The Thomson Model Scattering Curve is a plot that shows the relationship between the angle of scattering and the intensity of scattered radiation for a beam of alpha particles passing through a thin gold foil, as predicted by J.J. Thomson's atomic model.

2. How did Thomson develop this model?

Thomson developed this model by studying the results of his experiments on the scattering of alpha particles by thin metal foils. He observed that the majority of the alpha particles passed through the foil with little or no deflection, but a small percentage were deflected at large angles, indicating the presence of a dense, positively charged nucleus in the atom.

3. What does the Thomson Model Scattering Curve tell us about the structure of the atom?

The Thomson Model Scattering Curve supports Thomson's atomic model, which proposed that atoms consist of a positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons embedded in it. The curve shows that most of the alpha particles pass through the foil undeflected, indicating that the atom is mostly empty space, but some particles are deflected at large angles, suggesting the presence of a small, dense nucleus.

4. How does the Thomson Model Scattering Curve compare to the Rutherford Scattering Curve?

The Thomson Model Scattering Curve and the Rutherford Scattering Curve have similar shapes, but the Rutherford Curve shows a much higher percentage of particles being deflected at large angles. This is because Rutherford's atomic model proposed a small, positively charged nucleus at the center of the atom, which resulted in more significant deflections of the alpha particles.

5. What limitations does the Thomson Model Scattering Curve have?

The Thomson Model Scattering Curve was based on assumptions about the structure of the atom that were later proven to be incorrect, such as the idea that electrons were embedded in a positively charged sphere. Additionally, the curve does not account for the presence of other subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, which were later discovered to make up the nucleus of an atom. Therefore, the Thomson Model Scattering Curve has limitations in accurately describing the structure of the atom.