Finding Limits Approaching Infinity for Improper Integrals

In summary, the limit as t approaches negative infinity of e squared minus (t-3/3) e to the t/3 is 0.
lelandsthename

Homework Statement

Lim ((e[tex]^{2}[/tex])-([tex]\frac{t-3}{3}([/tex] * e^[tex]^{\frac{t}{3}})[/tex]))
t -> [tex]-\infty[/tex]

[sorry for the formatting, I tried my best! that is "The limit as t approaches negative infinity of e squared minus (t-3/3) e to the t/3)]"]

Homework Equations

I am solving improper integrals to find out if this is convergent or divergent and do not remember how to show on paper to solve for a limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if memory serves, the limit as we approach negative infinity is a horizontal asymptote, right? But I only remember those silly little coefficient tricks to find a horizontal asymptote. Otherwise, I'd just look on a calculator. Someone tried to explain it to me and said I should think of it as going towards positive infinity first and then negate it ... but even with positive infinity I don't no where to start!

Your detailed instructions/explanations would be awesome! I really want to understand how to do this by hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\left(e^2- \frac{t-3}{3}\right)e^{-t/3}[/tex]
or
[tex]e^2- \frac{t-3}{3}e^{-t/3}[/tex]?

In either case it looks pretty straight forward to me: e-x, times any power of t, goes to 0 as x goes to infinity.

What is the concept of limits approaching infinity?

Limits approaching infinity refers to the behavior of a function as the input value approaches infinity. In other words, it describes the value that a function approaches as its input value becomes larger and larger.

How do you write the formal definition of a limit approaching infinity?

The formal definition of a limit approaching infinity is as follows:
For a function f(x), the limit as x approaches infinity of f(x) is L if for every positive number epsilon, there exists a corresponding number N such that for all x greater than N, the absolute value of f(x) - L is less than epsilon.

What are the common types of functions that have limits approaching infinity?

Some common types of functions that have limits approaching infinity include rational functions (e.g. f(x) = 1/x), exponential functions (e.g. f(x) = e^x), and logarithmic functions (e.g. f(x) = ln(x)).

What is the graphical representation of a limit approaching infinity?

The graphical representation of a limit approaching infinity is a horizontal asymptote. This is a horizontal line that the graph of the function approaches as the input value increases without bound.

How is the concept of limits approaching infinity used in real-world applications?

The concept of limits approaching infinity is used in various real-world applications, such as in finance and economics to model growth and decay, in physics to describe the behavior of certain physical phenomena, and in engineering to optimize designs and processes.