Calculating Work for a Rotating Circle: Exploring the Role of Torque

In summary, Galadirith is trying to calculate the energy required to bring a rotating circle to rest. He has found that he can use work done to find the force and distance. He also found that torque can be replaced by two parallel equal and opposite forces.
Galadirith
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out how you can apply the concept of work to a rotating circle. I am trying to figure out how to calculate the energy required to bring a rotating circle (assumed to be a uniform lamina) to rest.

The circle has the following properties:
- Radius r (m)
- Mass m (kg)
- Now I will have the linear edge velocity ...
Initial: v (ms-1)
Final: u (ms-1) (which will me 0 for me :D)
- ... and I assume I will need the angular velocity, so
Initial: [itex]{\omega}_{v}[/tex]
Final: [tex]{\omega}_{u}[/tex]

Now I don't know where to go from here. Obviously I can't directly apply Wd = Fxd, well I say that, I suppose I could express d as a function of; the linear velocity at a point on the circle, the deceleration at that point and the time of deceleration, then integrate across all the circle, But I don't think my Maths would be good enough, maybe after like a few weeks I could crack it. Is there a simpler way to look at this problem, or and area of mechanics that deals with this, I know "circular motion", but I have googled and looked though all resources I have available (in upper sixth or final year of high school if your in America) and can't find the specific area of circular motion dealing with this sort of mechanics. And help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

This is all out of curiosity hence the slight ambiguity in not asking a question with actual values to deal with, thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Galadirith said:
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out how you can apply the concept of work to a rotating circle. I am trying to figure out how to calculate the energy required to bring a rotating circle (assumed to be a uniform lamina) to rest.

Hi Galadirith! :smile:

Work done = force times (perpendicular) distance …

if there's an ordinary linear force, like a brake on the rim of a wheel, then just multiply the force by the distance the rim moves …

if there's a torque (about the axle, say), the torque is already a force times a distance, so just multiply it by the angle moved (angle is dimensionless :wink:) … if that bothers you, remember that a torque can always be replaced by two parallel equal and opposite forces, and that, for the same torque, the forces will be inversely proportional to the radius, but the arc-distance will be directly proportional to the radius … so the radius cancels out, and all you have left is the angle. :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim, that helps alot, I actually have something to work from now, I actually just did had a quick look at some stuff online related to torque, and that looks great, we haven't actually studied torque yet so It wouldn't have been something I would have looked at :D thanks tiny-tim.

1. What is a rotating circle?

A rotating circle refers to a circular object that rotates around a central axis. This can be seen in various machines and mechanisms, such as a car's wheel or a record player.

2. What is the purpose of a rotating circle in work?

A rotating circle is often used in work as a means of converting linear motion into rotational motion. This allows for the efficient transfer of energy and power in various industrial processes. It also allows for the creation of rotational force, which is necessary for machines to perform tasks.

3. How does a rotating circle work?

A rotating circle works by utilizing the principle of rotational motion. The circular shape of the object allows for smooth and consistent rotation around a central axis. This rotation can be powered by various means, such as an engine or manual force, and can be controlled and directed through the use of gears and other mechanisms.

4. What are some common applications of a rotating circle in work?

A rotating circle has a wide range of applications in various industries, including manufacturing, transportation, and energy production. It is commonly used in machinery such as engines, turbines, and conveyor systems. It is also used in tools and equipment such as drills, lathes, and pumps.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with rotating circles?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when working with rotating circles. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection. It is also crucial to ensure that the rotating circle is properly maintained and that all safety features are in place to prevent accidents and injuries.