Extra Credit Problem from a past test

• Thread starter shrug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a limit to exist as x approaches c, given that two different sequences (Xn and Yn) converge to c and their corresponding function values (F(Xn) and F(Yn)) both converge to L. The answer is no, as it is possible for a function to have different limits for different sequences that converge to the same point. However, if we know that the limit exists, then one sequence is sufficient to determine its value.
shrug
Messed this up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know. I think you'd better post the full question. I can't make much sense out of that. I can't even figure out what the actual question is.

shrug said:
Prove or give a counterexample.
Xn and Yn are two diferent sequences that --> to c. If F(Xn) and F(Yn) both converge to L, then Lim (Fx) =L as X-->c. Didn't get any thing at all. How do you approach this. Or does it exist at all. If the Limit exists then wouldn't it equal L. Thanks

If the limit exists it must sure be L. Just define F by F(Xn)=F(Yn)=L and F(x)=0 else. Then F certainly does not have a limit as x-->c.

I think what you are asking is this: if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_n= c[/itex] and [/itex]\lim_{y_n\rightarrow 0} y_n= c[/itex], [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f(x_n)= L[/itex], and [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f(y_n)= L[/itex], is it necessarily true that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)= L[/itex]?

The answer is no. What is true is that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f(x_n}= L[/itex] for every sequence [itex]{x_n}[/itex] that converges to c. Just two sequences isn't enough.

For example, suppose f(x)= 0 if x is rational, 1 if x is irrational. Let [itex]{x_n}[/itex] and [itex]{y_n}[/itex] be two different sequences of rational numbers converging to 1. Then [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f(x_n)= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} g(x_n)= 0 but [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} f(x)[/itex] does not exist.

Of course, if we know that [/itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)[/itex] exists then one such sequence is sufficient to tell us what the limit is.

1. What is an extra credit problem from a past test?

An extra credit problem from a past test is an additional question or task given on a previous test that allows students to earn extra points towards their final grade.

2. How much extra credit is typically offered for a past test problem?

The amount of extra credit offered for a past test problem can vary depending on the teacher and the difficulty of the question. It is important to carefully read the instructions and guidelines to know how much extra credit is being offered.

3. Is completing an extra credit problem necessary for a good grade?

No, completing an extra credit problem is not necessary for a good grade. It is simply an opportunity for students to improve their grades if they choose to do so.

4. What types of subjects or topics are typically covered in extra credit problems from past tests?

Extra credit problems from past tests can cover a wide range of subjects or topics. They may focus on a specific concept or skill that was covered in the test, or they may be more general and require critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

5. Can extra credit from a past test affect my overall grade?

Yes, depending on the amount of extra credit offered and the student's performance on the rest of the test, extra credit from a past test can potentially have a small impact on the overall grade. However, it is important to remember that it is not a guarantee and should not be solely relied upon to improve a grade.