This is called the first order approximation or the linear approximation.

In summary: V(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial V(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right)dzSo, in summary, to expand V(z + dz, t) using the Taylor series, you would use the formula f(x,t)=f(a,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=a} \right)\frac{(x-a)}{1!} to get an approximation of V(z+dz, t) as V(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial V(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right)
roeb

Homework Statement

Expand V(z + dz, t).
I have seen problems like this in both my EnM and semiconductor courses but it's bothering me because I don't understand how the Taylor series is being used in this case...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taylor series: f(a) + f'(x-a) + ...

let f = V(z+dz, t)

Here is where I get stuck... I don't really know what to do

I guess the first term: V(z,t) makes sense
but the second term: dV(z,t)/dz delta(z) doesn't make any sense to me at all...

What the heck happens in the second term?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for the taylor series of [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] about the point [itex]x=a[/itex] is actually:

[tex]f(x,t)=f(a,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=a} \right) \frac{(x-a)}{1!}+\left( \left \frac{\partial ^2f(x,t)}{\partial x^2} {\right|}_{x=a} \right) \frac{(x-a)^2}{2!}+\ldots[/tex]

In your case, you would use this for [itex]x=z+dz[/itex] and [itex]a=z[/itex] so [itex]x-a=dz[/itex] and

[tex]\Rightarrow f(z+dz,t)=f(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right) \frac{dz}{1!}+\left( \left \frac{\partial ^2f(x,t)}{\partial x^2} {\right|}_{x=z} \right) \frac{(dz)^2}{2!}+\ldots[/tex]

But(!) [itex]dz[/itex] is an infinitesimal, so all the terms of order [itex](dz)^2[/itex] and higher are VERY small and so they can be neglected:

[tex]\Rightarrow f(z+dz,t) \approx f(z,t)+\left( \left \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x} \right| _{x=z} \right)dz[/tex]

1. What is a Taylor Series of Function?

A Taylor Series of Function is a mathematical concept used to represent a function as an infinite sum of polynomial terms. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor, who first described it in the 18th century. The series can be used to approximate the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor Series of Function calculated?

The Taylor Series of Function is calculated using the derivatives of the function at a specific point. The general formula for the Taylor Series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3 + ... , where a is the point around which the function is being approximated. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the significance of the remainder term in a Taylor Series of Function?

The remainder term in a Taylor Series of Function represents the difference between the original function and the approximated function. This term becomes smaller as more terms are included in the series, making the approximation more accurate. The remainder term also allows us to determine the error in the approximation.

4. What is the practical use of a Taylor Series of Function?

A Taylor Series of Function has many practical uses in mathematics and science. It can be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, to calculate derivatives and integrals of a function, and to solve differential equations. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can a Taylor Series of Function be used for any type of function?

No, a Taylor Series of Function can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at the point of approximation. Additionally, the series may not converge for some functions, making it unsuitable for approximation. In such cases, other methods such as Fourier series may be used.