Understanding Capacitive Circuits: The Relationship Between Current and Voltage

• Thread starter XPTPCREWX
  • Start date
In summary, current leads voltage by 90 degrees in a purely capacitive circuit because of the differential equations for the currents and voltages for capacitors. The driving function is the current, which charges up the capacitors, and the voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously. This terminology is used because it accurately describes the relationship between current and voltage in capacitors based on the physics of those components.
XPTPCREWX
Perhaps some one can explain to me what is meant by "current leads the voltage by 90 degrees"...let this inquiry be in regards to a purely capacitive circuit.

What seems to baffle me is why this terminology is used. Its not like the current just decided to occur before a potenial difference.

Engineering news on Phys.org
XPTPCREWX said:
Perhaps some one can explain to me what is meant by "current leads the voltage by 90 degrees"...let this inquiry be in regards to a purely capacitive circuit.

What seems to baffle me is why this terminology is used. Its not like the current just decided to occur before a potenial difference.

It's easiest to get comfortable with this concept based on the differential equations for the currents and voltages for inductors and capacitors.

For Capacitors, the driving function is the current, which charges up the capacitors:

[tex]v(t) = \frac{1}{C}\int{i(t) dt}[/tex]

The voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously, because that would require an infinite current.

Similarly for Inductors, the driving function is the voltage, which ramps up the current:

[tex]i(t) = \frac{1}{L}\int{v(t) dt}[/tex]

The current in the inductor cannot change instantaneously, bacause that would require an infinite voltage. The current can change very quickly, however, like in a flyback power supply circuit that is pumping a high voltage...

So when we say that the current lags the applied voltage in inductors, or that the voltage lags the applied current in capacitors, we are just saying in words what you get from the differential equations that describe the physics of those components.

And when we say "the current leads the voltage...", we are not describing something non-causal. It's just a bit of a confusing way to state the relationship the other way around, and for a continuous waveform.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Really helps...Thanks.

XPTPCREWX said:

To make it very simple. Before the cap can have any voltage across it's terminals, you need to charge it up. So current has to be pumped into the cap before the cap can charge up to have voltage. Current always have to come first so it lead the voltage! This is the ABC way to explain it!:rofl:

Berkeman has given you the detail of the rest.

yungman said:
To make it very simple. Before the cap can have any voltage across it's terminals, you need to charge it up. So current has to be pumped into the cap before the cap can charge up to have voltage. Current always have to come first so it lead the voltage! This is the ABC way to explain it!:rofl:

Berkeman has given you the detail of the rest.

yungman,

Actually it isn't that simple. there is obviously a potential difference between the applied voltage and the capacitors terminal voltage to create that current flow in the first place.

Berkeman has explained it to me the best so far.

XPTPCREWX said:
yungman,

Actually it isn't that simple. there is obviously a potential difference between the applied voltage and the capacitors terminal voltage to create that current flow in the first place.

Berkeman has explained it to me the best so far.

I am glad you are happy with berkeman's answer. This is a very simple question that you find in the first few lessons of AC circuits, so I want to give a very simple answer just in case. I just add this in because there are people that don't do calculus! I was one of those long time ago!

What is a capacitive circuit?

A capacitive circuit is a type of electronic circuit that utilizes a capacitor, a passive electronic component, to store and release electrical energy. It is used to filter, block, or bypass certain frequencies in a circuit.

How does a capacitive circuit work?

In a capacitive circuit, the capacitor stores electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied, the capacitor charges and the voltage across it increases. This stored charge can then be released when needed, creating a flow of current in the circuit.

What is the relationship between current and voltage in a capacitive circuit?

The relationship between current and voltage in a capacitive circuit is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. In a capacitive circuit, the current is inversely proportional to the capacitor's capacitance and directly proportional to the rate of change of the voltage across the capacitor.

What factors affect the behavior of a capacitive circuit?

The behavior of a capacitive circuit is affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the frequency of the input signal, and the resistance of the circuit. The type and material of the capacitor also play a role in determining the behavior of the circuit.

How are capacitive circuits used in real-world applications?

Capacitive circuits have a wide range of applications in various electronic devices. They are commonly used in power supplies, filters, oscillators, and sensors. They are also used in touchscreens, touchpads, and other interactive devices.