Is A3 Commutative and Cyclic?

In summary, it is clear that the OP's statement that the symmetric group with 9 elements is not a good example of a group with an odd permutation is false.
tgt

Homework Statement

Every nontrivial subgroup H of the symmetric group with 9 elements containing some odd permutation contains a transposition.

It does seem the case that if a subgroup of H of the symmetric group with 9 elements contain an odd permutation then certainly a transposition must be apparent (there might be more but surely one is apparent).

Have I misread the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are odd elements that don't consist of a single transposition. Some are the product of three transpositions. Or more. And there is no symmetric group with 9 elements. So you must mean H has 9 elements. And if H contains a transposition then it has a element of order 2. Or do you mean S_9? Still not true. The more I think about this the less sense it makes. Are you sure that's the real question?

Last edited:
Maybe I have. It's asking whether every nontrivial subgroup of S9 containing an odd permutation must contain a single transposition. The answer is no if we consider the group {I, (12)(34)(56)}.

Ok, right. That's a subgroup of S9 and contains no transposition. I'm still fixated on H being having 9 elements. Sorry.

Last edited:
Dick said:
There are odd elements that don't consist of a single transposition. Some are the product of three transpositions. Or more. And there is no symmetric group with 9 elements. So you must mean H has 9 elements. And if H contains a transposition then it has a element of order 2. Or do you mean S_9? Still not true. The more I think about this the less sense it makes. Are you sure that's the real question?

symmetric group with 9 element is S_9 which certainly exits. Why do you say it doesn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_group

The answer to the OP is false as shown by a counter example above.

Dick said:
That subgroup has order 2, doesn't it?

Yes.

You've probably mistaken the wording in the OP. The symmetric group with 9 elements is obviously not good use of words. I really mean S_9 which has 9! elements.

I agree. There is a subgroup of order 2 with no transposition. As you're example points out. I edited the previous reply.

This is an interesting problem:
Its Question 13d of "A First Course in Abstract Algebra by John B Fraleigh".
Of course the solution in the back of the book is wrong because it says that the statement is false; when in fact it is true. He also says that A_3 is a commutative group WHEN ITS CLEARLY NOT! that's question 13g. This is an excellent book for finding mistakes ... if you can find them.

A3 IS commutative, as is any group of order 3.

A3 = {I, (1 2 3), (1 3 2)}

it is cyclic, since 3 is prime.

Deveno said:
A3 IS commutative, as is any group of order 3.

A3 = {I, (1 2 3), (1 3 2)}

it is cyclic, since 3 is prime.

Yeah you're right ... thanks for pointing that out. My bad

What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures that represent symmetries and transformations. It is a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and physics.

What are the properties of a group?

A group must satisfy four main properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Closure means that the result of combining any two elements in a group must also be an element of the group. Associativity means that the order of operations does not matter. Identity means that there is an element in the group that, when combined with any other element, produces that same element. Inverse means that every element in the group has an element that, when combined, produces the identity element.

True or false: The identity element of a group is unique.

True. The identity element is unique in a group. This means that there can only be one element in the group that satisfies the identity property, and all other elements in the group must have this element as their identity.

True or false: Every element in a group must have an inverse.

True. Every element in a group must have an inverse. This means that for every element in a group, there must be another element that, when combined, produces the identity element. If an element does not have an inverse, then it cannot be part of a group.

True or false: The order of elements in a group does not matter.

True. In a group, the order of elements does not matter. This is known as the commutative property. This means that the result of combining two elements in a group will be the same regardless of the order in which they are combined. However, not all groups are commutative, and some operations may have a different result based on the order of elements.