Thermodynamic pressure/temperature question

In summary, the temperature of the cylinder of compressed argon will increase after the valve is closed due to the adiabatic compression of the gas. If the cylinder sits in storage for a long time, heat will be transferred. The pressure of the cylinder when it is shipped will depend on the temperature and pressure equilibrium of the gas inside.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Consider filling a cylinder of compressed argon from a high-pressure supply line. Before filling, the cylinder contains 10 bar of argon at room temperature the valve is then opened, exposing the tank to a 50 bar line at room temperature until the cylinder reaches 50bar. The valve is then closed. For argon take C_p =5/2 *R and the molecular weight to be 40kg/mol. You may use the ideal gas model.
a) what is the temperature after the valve is closed.
b)if the cylinder sits in storage for a long time how much heat is transferred.
c) what is the pressure of the cylinder when it is shipped (after sitting a long time)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I'm not really worried about b or c yet since I can't get a.

Anyway My attempt:

I used an equation my prof gave us T2=(P2*(Cp/Cv)*T1)/(P2-P1 + P1/T1*(Cp/Cv)*T1

I plugged in the given value for Cp used Cv=Cp-R
used P2=50bar P1=10bar T1=298K and got 59.4 However I am pretty sure the temperature wouldn't go down, if anything it should go up since it is being compressed to a higher pressure. can anyone help maybe this equation is wrong or something? my prof writes really sloppy and I can't read it properly sometimes, let me know if this is the right forum too I wasn't sure where to put this question!

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent1 said:

Homework Statement

Consider filling a cylinder of compressed argon from a high-pressure supply line. Before filling, the cylinder contains 10 bar of argon at room temperature the valve is then opened, exposing the tank to a 50 bar line at room temperature until the cylinder reaches 50bar. The valve is then closed. For argon take C_p =5/2 *R and the molecular weight to be 40kg/mol. You may use the ideal gas model.
a) what is the temperature after the valve is closed.
b)if the cylinder sits in storage for a long time how much heat is transferred.
c) what is the pressure of the cylinder when it is shipped (after sitting a long time)
Think of the gas in the cylinder being compressed by the inflowing gas (eg. think of the argon in the cylinder being contained in a sealed rubber balloon that is then compressed to 50 bar). The inflowing gas, however, does not experience a net compression.

Work out the temperature for an adiabatic compression of the gas that is originally in the cylinder. Then let the two mix so that the temperature evens out.

AM

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can see that you have used the correct equation for finding the final temperature after compressing the gas. However, there may be a mistake in the values you have plugged in. The temperature should indeed go up after compressing the gas, as you mentioned. Here is how I would solve this problem:

a) To find the final temperature, we can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. The number of moles of argon can be calculated using the molecular weight (40kg/mol) and the given mass of argon in the cylinder. Therefore, n = (10 bar)(V) / (40 kg/mol)(0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)(298 K) = 0.0125 moles.

Now, using the ideal gas law again for the final state (50 bar and unknown temperature), we can solve for T:

(50 bar)(V) = (0.0125 moles)(0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)(T)

Solving for T, we get T = 894 K.

b) To find the amount of heat transferred during storage, we can use the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q - W. Since the cylinder is in equilibrium, there is no change in internal energy (ΔU = 0). Therefore, the heat transferred (Q) is equal to the work done (W) on the gas. We can calculate the work done using the equation W = PΔV. The initial volume (V1) can be calculated using the ideal gas law (V1 = nRT1 / P1), and the final volume (V2) can be calculated using the same equation but with the final pressure (P2). Therefore, the work done is:

W = (50 bar)(V2 - V1) = (50 bar)(nRT2 / P2 - nRT1 / P1) = 0.0125 moles)(0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)(894 K - 298 K) = 47.2 L*atm.

c) Finally, to find the pressure of the cylinder when it is shipped after sitting for a long time, we can use the ideal gas law again. The temperature will remain the same (894 K) and the volume will also remain the same (since the cylinder

1. What is thermodynamic pressure?

Thermodynamic pressure is a measure of the force exerted by a gas or liquid on a surface. It is a result of the collisions of molecules with the surface and is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa).

2. How is thermodynamic pressure related to temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, thermodynamic pressure is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as temperature increases, pressure also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

3. What is the difference between thermodynamic pressure and atmospheric pressure?

Thermodynamic pressure is a measure of the force exerted by a gas or liquid, while atmospheric pressure specifically refers to the pressure exerted by the Earth's atmosphere. Atmospheric pressure is affected by factors such as altitude and weather, while thermodynamic pressure is primarily determined by the properties of the gas or liquid itself.

4. How does thermodynamic pressure change during a phase change?

During a phase change, such as from a liquid to a gas, the thermodynamic pressure remains constant. This is because the temperature and volume of the substance also change during the phase change, according to the ideal gas law equation.

5. What is the significance of thermodynamic pressure in industrial processes?

Thermodynamic pressure is an important factor in many industrial processes, as it can affect the efficiency and safety of these processes. For example, in chemical reactions, the pressure of reactants can alter the rate and yield of the reaction. In power plants, thermodynamic pressure is used to drive turbines and generate electricity. Accurate measurement and control of pressure is crucial in many industrial settings to ensure optimal performance and safety.