Is There Detailed Information on the Physics of Objects in Viscous Fluids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of an object moving through a viscous fluid and the lack of detailed sources on the subject. The conversation mentions various related topics such as aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, but the search results on Google do not provide in-depth information on the physics involved. A specific request for any relevant sources is made.
NoobixCube
Hey all,

I am looking into the physics of an object moving through a viscous fuild. I have had a look searching google, but it only comes up with articles relating the terminal velocity of an object. Are there any detailed sources that anyone knows about?

If so please post a link..

:approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
That's quite a broad topic- I am surprised you could not find anything of consequence. There's a lot on aerodynamics and hydrodynamics out there. Stokes flow, wind tunnels, Lamb's "Hydrodynamics" (Dover edition), Taylor dispersion, boundary layer separation, vortex shedding, ... the list is quite long.

I got 415 hits on google for "swimming in custard", :smile:

but none of them actually seems to go into the physics :redface:

1. What is a viscous fluid?

A viscous fluid is a type of fluid that has a high resistance to flow, meaning it is thick and does not easily flow or change shape.

2. What are some examples of objects in a viscous fluid?

Some common examples of objects in a viscous fluid include honey, molasses, tar, and motor oil.

3. How does viscosity affect the movement of objects in a viscous fluid?

The higher the viscosity of a fluid, the more resistance it will have to the movement of objects. This means that objects will move slower in a more viscous fluid compared to a less viscous fluid.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its movement in a viscous fluid?

The shape of an object can greatly impact its movement in a viscous fluid. Objects with a more streamlined or tapered shape will experience less resistance and move more easily through the fluid, while objects with a flat or irregular shape will experience more resistance and move slower.

5. How is the viscosity of a fluid measured?

The viscosity of a fluid is typically measured using a device called a viscometer. This instrument measures the amount of force required to move a known object through the fluid, and the resulting measurement is known as the fluid's viscosity.