Power, Work, Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, a 4.60 kg particle moves along the x axis. Its position varies with time according to x = t + 1.8t3, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. The particle has a kinetic energy of .5mv2 at any time, and acceleration of 10.8t. Power is being delivered to the particle at the rate of .
yb1013

Homework Statement

A 4.60 kg particle moves along the x axis. Its position varies with time according to x = t + 1.8t3, where x is in meters and t is in seconds.

(a) Find the kinetic energy at any time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(b) Find the acceleration of the particle and the force acting on it at time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(c) Find the power being delivered to the particle at time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(d) Find the work done on the particle in the interval t = 0 to t = 2.00 s.

Homework Equations

Im pretty that equations arent normal variable equations arent used here because I am asked for expressions, not just a numerical value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to fiddle around a little bit, but I've basically just made a mess of wrong answers... can someone please help me out here. I am very confused even on where to start on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
yb1013 said:

Homework Statement

A 4.60 kg particle moves along the x axis. Its position varies with time according to x = t + 1.8t3, where x is in meters and t is in seconds.

(a) Find the kinetic energy at any time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(b) Find the acceleration of the particle and the force acting on it at time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(c) Find the power being delivered to the particle at time t. (Accurately round any coefficient to exactly two decimal places. Use t as necessary.)

(d) Find the work done on the particle in the interval t = 0 to t = 2.00 s.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty that equations aren't normal variable equations aren't used here because I'm asked for expressions, not just a numerical value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to fiddle around a little bit, but I've basically just made a mess of wrong answers... can someone please help me out here. I'm very confused even on where to start on this question.

I'm going to guess that's x(t) = t + 1.8t3... Well it's velocity as a function of time is v(t) = 1 + 5.4t2 and acceleration is a(t) = 10.8t both by differentiation.

Thus kinetic energy is given by KE = .5mv2.

Acceleration is given by what is above (the double derivative of x(t). F = ma.

What does power mean? Work from that definition.

Try the work/kinetic energy theorem for the the last part but you need initial conditions (namely initial velocity).

hmmm, I understood your first two explanations, but still kinda puzzled about the last 2... can you use Power = W/t

The last two are tied together.

If you do P = W/t then you need to calculate work.

W = [tex]\Delta KE = KE_{final} - KE_{initial}[/tex]. But to find KE you need a velocity which for some reason I thought needed a given value for t=0 but it's just v(0) = 1+5.4t2 = 1 m/s.

Good?

ok i think i got it, thank you

1. What is the difference between power and work?

Power refers to the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done in a given amount of time. Work, on the other hand, is the product of the force applied to an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. In simpler terms, power is the ability to do work, while work is the actual act of applying force to an object.

2. How is power calculated?

Power is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do that work. The formula for power is: power = work / time. It is typically measured in units of watts (W), which is equivalent to one joule per second.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and is directly proportional to both. The formula for kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. It is typically measured in units of joules (J).

4. How is kinetic energy related to work?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related, as work is required to change the kinetic energy of an object. When a force is applied to an object, work is done on that object, resulting in a change in its kinetic energy. The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

5. Can power be negative?

Yes, power can be negative. This occurs when work is being done in the opposite direction of the force applied, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy. For example, when friction is applied to slow down an object's movement, the power would be negative as work is being done in the opposite direction of the object's motion.