Laplace help on a DC transient RC circuit ? PLEASE

In summary: So, you will have a ramp for small values of t and an exponential for larger values of t.In summary, the conversation discusses a RC circuit with specific values for resistors and capacitors and a voltage input. The formula for calculating the voltage through the capacitor is provided and suggestions are given for obtaining the correct solution. It is noted that there may be errors due to circuit tolerances and the effects of removing a resistor from the circuit are discussed.
willow16v
I HAVE A RC CIRCUIT WHERE R1=100Kohm and R2=1Mohm and C=2.1micro farads with a Vin =10V,

In order to calculate the voltage through the capacitor I deduce the following formula,

Vc(s)=V/S {(((R2×1/Cs)/(R2+1/Cs)))/(((R2×1/Cs)/(R2+1/Cs)+R1) )}

I then need to produce a laplace transform of exponential growth thus, I believe to be

Vc(s)=a/s(s+a)

However I have spent a week on this now and cannot get a soloution. I would be grateful of any help or any point to know where I am going wrong. I have pages and pages of transposition but they all lead to every answer but the one I require. Many thanks

Please see attachement

Thanks Again

Attachments

• I HAVE A RC CIRCUIT WHERE R1.doc
    85.5 KB · Views: 201
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what the actual circuit comprises, but reading between the lines I think the Laplace form of the voltage Vc should be as given in the attachment.

Attachments

• RC cct.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 269
Please upload your question in a PDF file. Word documents can contain viruses.

thankyou overt 26, did you have a look at the word document ?

Many thanks

Chris

First multiply the numerator and the denominator by R2 + 1/Cs, to eliminate this term. You will have still terms of the form 1/Cs in both the new numerator and denominator. Multiply them by Cs, to get an expression of the form you want.

willow16v said:
thankyou overt 26, did you have a look at the word document ?

Many thanks

Chris

Yes I did. CEL has made the right suggestion for obtaining the solution.

You should end up with something similar to that which I posted in the pdf.

thanks to you both, i will have another look at it and take into account your suggestions and hopefully get yet another different answer but the right one.

Thanks again

thanks i have just put the values of capacitor and resistors into the formula with the relevant time and it is about .6 of a volt away from the recorded values. Would there be a specific reason for this due to circuit tolerances etc.

I can't tell you how gratefull i am to you both

willow16v said:
thanks i have just put the values of capacitor and resistors into the formula with the relevant time and it is about .6 of a volt away from the recorded values. Would there be a specific reason for this due to circuit tolerances etc.

I can't tell you how gratefull i am to you both

The final value should be .9V. An error of .6V is excessive.

the voltage / time curve was between 0 and 2 seconds, where at aorund 0.6 seconds the exponential growthy curve reached its max at 8.3 V. However like i say the actual math answer compared to the measured values are different ? could it be an error with the formula or with the tolerances of the equipment.

Many thanks

Chris

willow16v said:
the voltage / time curve was between 0 and 2 seconds, where at aorund 0.6 seconds the exponential growthy curve reached its max at 8.3 V. However like i say the actual math answer compared to the measured values are different ? could it be an error with the formula or with the tolerances of the equipment.

Many thanks

Chris

My mistake. I inverted the values of the resistances. The final value should be around 9V. Since your components have probably a tolerance of 10%, an error of 0.6V is possible.

inverted the resistances in the formula ? do you mean there is a mistake with the formula or you made a mistake by inverting them ?.

Many thanks

willow16v said:
inverted the resistances in the formula ? do you mean there is a mistake with the formula or you made a mistake by inverting them ?.

Many thanks

I made a mistake by inverting them. The formula is correct. As I said, if all components had 0% error, the final voltage should be 10V x 1M/1.1M ~ 9.1V.
Since there is a tolerance of 10% in the values of the resistors, the final voltage can be from
10 x .9M/(.9M + 110k) ~8.2V to 10 x 1.1M/(1.1M+90k) ~ 9.2V.
So, the 8.3V you found is a possible, but unlikely value.

thanks very much,
i have calculated the values and they are accurate with the graphical representation. However i have another question ?

if i take the 1Mohm resistor out of the circuit what effects would it have on the exponential growth curve.

The reason i ask is that without the resistor but using the same 0 to 2s time scale the results acheived with the Laplace function of V(CR/s(s+CR)) with the time domain of
1-e(-CRt) he result is a straight line ?

what are the reasons for this or have i miss calculated

thanks again

Without the 1M resistor, the voltage source will be in series with the 100k resistor and the capacitor.
A voltage source in series with a resistor is equivalent to a current source in prallel with the same resistor, so you have approximately the capacitor being charged by a current source. The result is a ramp.

does the circuit not act as a voltage divider network ?
Why is the resulting graphical form a straight line?

Thanks again

willow16v said:
does the circuit not act as a voltage divider network ?
Why is the resulting graphical form a straight line?

Thanks again

Without the 1M resistor, there is no voltage divider. Of course, the current source approximation is valid for small values of time. As time goes by (pun intended), you will have an exponential and the final value of the voltage in the capacitor will be the source voltage. For small values of t the exponential approaches a straight line.

What is a DC transient RC circuit?

A DC transient RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to analyze the behavior of the circuit when a direct current (DC) voltage is applied.

What is Laplace help and how does it apply to a DC transient RC circuit?

Laplace help is a mathematical tool used to analyze the behavior of dynamic systems, such as electrical circuits. In the case of a DC transient RC circuit, Laplace help can be used to determine the voltage and current across the circuit over time.

How do I calculate the time constant for a DC transient RC circuit?

The time constant (T) for a DC transient RC circuit is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C). This can be represented by the equation T = RC.

What is the difference between a steady-state and a transient state in a DC transient RC circuit?

In a DC transient RC circuit, the steady-state refers to the condition when the circuit has reached a stable state and the voltage and current are constant. The transient state refers to the period of time when the circuit is transitioning from an initial state to the steady-state.

How can I use Laplace help to solve for the voltage and current in a DC transient RC circuit?

To solve for the voltage and current in a DC transient RC circuit using Laplace help, you can use the Laplace transform to convert the circuit into a mathematical equation. This equation can then be solved using algebraic techniques to find the desired values.