Unit Consistency: Exam Prep in 8 Hours

• Thread starter jaimieee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the unit consistency activity in the book involves identifying units that do not exhibit consistency and providing equivalent units that are consistent. The consistent units are those that belong in the same system, such as the MKS (meter-kilogram-second) or CGS (centimeter-gram-second) systems. Some examples of consistent units are km/h, mi/h, and kg/m3. Additionally, speed is considered consistent when expressed as length/time, such as in m/s or km/h. Newtons per meter or dynes per centimeter are also consistent units.
jaimieee
Ok, this is not a homework. But we have an exam later 8 hours from now.

On our book there is an activity called the Unit Consistency.

The instruction says: Which of the units below do no exhibit unit consistency? Give the equivalent consistent units for those that are not consistent.

1) cm/s2 - Answer: cm/s2
2) km/s - Answer: km/h

Our Physics teacher gave us some of the consistent units like:

km/h
mi/h
kg/m3

but I'm not sure if only these are the consistent ones, are there still consistent units? Can you share it? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaimieee said:
Ok, this is not a homework. But we have an exam later 8 hours from now.

On our book there is an activity called the Unit Consistency.

The instruction says: Which of the units below do no exhibit unit consistency? Give the equivalent consistent units for those that are not consistent.

1) cm/s2 - Answer: cm/s2
2) km/s - Answer: km/h

Our Physics teacher gave us some of the consistent units like:

km/h
mi/h
kg/m3

but I'm not sure if only these are the consistent ones, are there still consistent units? Can you share it? Thank you.

Is there a definition of "consistent units" offered by the book or instructor?

berkeman said:
Is there a definition of "consistent units" offered by the book or instructor?

Yes,yes! Sorry I wasn't able to define.

This is what is EXACTLY written :)

Unit Consistency

whenever you make calculations involving measurements, always remember to check for unit consistency; that is, the units should belong in the same system. Generally, if you are using meter for length, you should use gram for mass. Within the SI, the system of units based on the use of meter and kilogram is referred to as the MKS (meter-kilogram-second) system. Another system is the CGS system, which uses the centimeter, gram and second.

I didn't get it. It's confusing me :(

I think they mean which are dimensionally the same.
The basic dimensions are length, mass, time (plus temperature, and current)

So for example speed is length/time so could be given in miles/hour, m/s, km/min furlong/fortnight etc but could never be km/kg
So two sets of units are consistent if they refer to the set of same base units.

jaimieee said:
Yes,yes! Sorry I wasn't able to define.

This is what is EXACTLY written :)

Unit Consistency

whenever you make calculations involving measurements, always remember to check for unit consistency; that is, the units should belong in the same system. Generally, if you are using meter for length, you should use gram for mass. Within the SI, the system of units based on the use of meter and kilogram is referred to as the MKS (meter-kilogram-second) system. Another system is the CGS system, which uses the centimeter, gram and second.

I didn't get it. It's confusing me :(

Oh, I understand now. Well, except for the typo in the sentence that says "if you are using meter for length, you should use gram for mass." That is incorrect. As the rest of the paragraph states, the typical unit systems are:

MKS (SI) -- meter, kilogram, second

cgs -- centimeter, gram, second

There are similar consistent unit systems for goofy units like we use here in the US (pounds, whatever). This is a pretty good intro to units, with pointers out to other articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_measurement

So it looks like the units you posted in your original post (OP) are consistent. Do you see why the following would be inconsistent?

g/m^3

mgb_phys said:
I think they mean which are dimensionally the same.
The basic dimensions are length, mass, time (plus temperature, and current)

So for example speed is length/time so could be given in miles/hour, m/s, km/min furlong/fortnight etc but could never be km/kg
So two sets of units are consistent if they refer to the set of same base units.

Hmm for example the given is:
Newtons per centimeter , what will be the consistent unit?

mgb_phys said:

I think km/min is not the consistent one? I think it should be km/h? What do you think?

berkeman said:
Oh, I understand now. Well, except for the typo in the sentence that says "if you are using meter for length, you should use gram for mass." That is incorrect. As the rest of the paragraph states, the typical unit systems are:

MKS (SI) -- meter, kilogram, second

cgs -- centimeter, gram, second

There are similar consistent unit systems for goofy units like we use here in the US (pounds, whatever). This is a pretty good intro to units, with pointers out to other articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_measurement

I kinda get it but I'm not sure if my understanding is correct.

berkeman said:
So it looks like the units you posted in your original post (OP) are consistent. Do you see why the following would be inconsistent?

g/m^3

I think the answer should be kg/m^3? I used the MKS (SI).

jaimieee said:
I think the answer should be kg/m^3? I used the MKS (SI).

Correct. kg/m^3 or g/cm^3 would be consistent sets of units, if I understand the definition correctly.

jaimieee said:
Hmm for example the given is:
Newtons per centimeter , what will be the consistent unit?
It should be Newtons per meter or dynes per centimeter(surface tension)

jaimieee said:
I think km/min is not the consistent one? I think it should be km/h? What do you think?
It is MKS(Meter Kilogram Second) so it is km/s

Hi. We just had our exam awhile ago but this one was not included. T__T Anyway thank you guys ;)

vin300 said:
It is MKS(Meter Kilogram Second) so it is km/s

Given the earlier definition, km/s is not consistent by m/s would be.

See Post #1, Item 2 ... km/h is considered to be "consistent units".

What is "Unit Consistency: Exam Prep in 8 Hours"?

"Unit Consistency: Exam Prep in 8 Hours" is an exam preparation course designed to help students review and understand the fundamentals of unit consistency in science. It covers topics such as unit conversions, dimensional analysis, and the importance of using consistent units in scientific calculations.

Who is this course suitable for?

This course is suitable for students at any level of science education, from high school to graduate school. It is also beneficial for anyone who uses units in their work, such as engineers or researchers.

How long is the course?

The course is designed to be completed in 8 hours, but students can work at their own pace and may take longer or shorter depending on their individual learning style and speed.

What materials are included in the course?

The course includes video lectures, practice problems, and quizzes to help students solidify their understanding of unit consistency. Students will also have access to a study guide and cheat sheet to use during the exam.

Is there a money-back guarantee?

Yes, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee for this course. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the course, you can request a full refund within 30 days of purchase.