Vector and Axial vector currents

In summary, the vector current and vector axial current both satisfy the equations \partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}[M,\vec{T}] \psi and \partial_\mu \vec{A}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}\{M,\vec{T}\}\gamma_5 \psi, respectively. This is shown by using Dirac's equations and substituting the appropriate terms, taking into account that T and \gamma are matrices of different types.
arestes

Homework Statement

I have to show that the vector current [tex] \vec{V}^\mu = \overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \vec{T} \psi [/tex] and the vector axial current [tex] \vec{A}^\mu = \overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \gamma_5\vec{T} \psi [/tex] satisfy this

[tex]
\partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}[M,\vec{T}] \psi

[/tex][tex]
\partial_\mu \vec{A}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}\{M,\vec{T}\}\gamma_5 \psi
[/tex]

The brackets are commutators and the braces are anticommutators

Homework Equations

Dirac's equation for [tex] \psi [/tex] and [tex]\overline{\psi} [/tex]. Also, M is a mass matrix because [tex] \psi [/tex] is extended to a vector in flavor space and M is a diagonal matrix (entries are the quark masses). T are the pauli matrices divided by 2 and we are working only with two flavors. The column vector [tex] \psi [/tex] contains two entries then, and each of these are a 4-component Dirac spinor.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Dirac's equations:
[tex]
\overline{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu\stackrel{\leftarrow}{\partial_\mu} + M) &=& 0
[/tex]
[tex]
\partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu &=& i\overline{\psi}M
[/tex]

[tex]
(i\gamma^\mu{\partial_\mu} + M)\psi &=& 0

[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu{\psi} &=& -iM{\psi}

[/tex]
when we replace it in the gradient [tex]\partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu [/tex]

[tex]
\partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu = \partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \vec{T} \psi + \overline{\psi}\gamma^\mu\vec{T}\partial_\mu \psi [/tex]there's no problem substituting [tex]\partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu = i\overline{\psi}M [/tex] in the first term of this last gradient but for the second term i don't get [tex]\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu{\psi} [/tex] but rather [tex]\gamma^\mu\vec{T}\partial_\mu \psi [/tex] which differ just by commuting [tex]\vec{T} [/tex] and [tex]\gamma^\mu [/tex]

Same applies to [tex]\partial_\mu\vec{A}^\mu [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
T is a matrix in flavor space. The gammas are matrices in spinor space. I.e. their indices are of different types. You can commute them.

1. What is a vector current?

A vector current is a type of current in particle physics that is associated with particles that are spin-1, such as photons and W and Z bosons. It describes the flow of a physical quantity, such as electric charge or momentum, in a specific direction.

2. What is an axial vector current?

An axial vector current is a type of current in particle physics that is associated with particles that have spin-1/2, such as protons and neutrons. It describes the flow of a physical quantity, such as spin or angular momentum, in a specific direction.

3. What is the difference between a vector and an axial vector current?

The main difference between a vector and an axial vector current is the type of particles they are associated with. Vector currents are associated with spin-1 particles, while axial vector currents are associated with spin-1/2 particles. They also describe the flow of different physical quantities in different directions.

4. How are vector and axial vector currents used in particle physics?

Vector and axial vector currents play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are used to describe the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces of nature, such as the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces. They also help explain the properties and behaviors of different particles.

5. What is the conservation law associated with vector and axial vector currents?

The conservation law associated with vector and axial vector currents is called the conservation of vector and axial vector charges. This law states that the sum of the vector and axial vector charges of a system must remain constant during any interaction. This conservation law is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.