Possible Explanation for Candle Generator?

• Thread starter Joe_I_Am
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, this is an illusion that is being presented as a scientific breakthrough. There is no mention of the context in the original post nor the video.
Joe_I_Am
Candle Generator??

A Coworker showed me this video today. Is this even possible? To me it looks like he flips a switch under the table when the light goes on and off, and when the motor goes on and off. I do have a semester of general physics under my belt, but I have no idea how to explain this if this is even physically possible. Anyone have any explanations? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGjAtfhGW0&feature=PlayList&p=FC18ED30D9E98A16&index=13

Physics news on Phys.org

No, it isn't possible.

Note how fast the light lights up even when the candle lights slowly. And I wonder why he has a hand under the table every time a device goes on or off...?

Notice we never see the bottom of the candle. If I were going to do this, I'd inlay some very fine bare copper wire into the tabletop. Its color and finish combined with the low quality video would easily hide it. The wires on one side would be connected to the battery positive terminal through the switch and the other side to the negative--all hidden under the table, of course. Inside the candle, I'd embed a copper rod or tube and solder a disc of copper foil to it to increase the contact area so I wouldn't have to fiddle with it to make contact. Pushing the nail slightly off center guarantees contact. The rest is obvious.

That has got to be one of the stupidest things that I've ever seen in my life; I couldn't even finish watching it. If for no other reason (although there are lots of others), since when does wax conduct electricity? If it does, I have an idea for a Brazilian treatment that would scare even Courtney Love away.

Uh, it's called a "magic trick."

The candle makers are not complaining.
Is it possible to get this type of video removed from U-tube?

No. What, next you'll want to ban Chris Angel because real people can't walk through walls? :rolleyes:

It's a goddamn magic trick, not a crackpot claim.

Negitron, there was no mention of the context in the original post nor the video. I agree that it's an illusion, but I had the impression that it was being presented as a scientific breakthrough. My mistake.
(I still can't get the vision of that electric bikini wax technique out of my head, though...)

negitron said:
No. What, next you'll want to ban Chris Angel because real people can't walk through walls? :rolleyes:

It's a goddamn magic trick, not a crackpot claim.

I don't have my speakers hooked up.
I assumed it was a crackpot claim just by the subtitles.

God damned that magic?
Ok then.

Chris Angel should be banned because its just flat out incredibly bad TV.
Same for Dancing with the Vegetables. (Sorry attempt at levity)

Last edited:

1. How does the candle generator work?

The candle generator works by converting the heat energy produced by a burning candle into mechanical energy, which is then converted into electrical energy. This is achieved through the use of a thermoelectric generator, which is composed of two dissimilar materials that produce a voltage when exposed to a temperature difference.

2. What materials are used in a candle generator?

A candle generator typically uses a thermoelectric generator made of semiconductor materials such as bismuth telluride, lead telluride, or silicon germanium. It also requires a cooling system to maintain a temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the generator, as well as wiring and a voltage regulator to convert the electricity into a usable form.

3. How much electricity can a candle generator produce?

The amount of electricity produced by a candle generator varies depending on the size and efficiency of the generator, as well as the type and size of the candle used. On average, a small candle generator can produce around 2-3 volts and 100 milliwatts of power, which is enough to charge small electronic devices or power LED lights.

4. Is a candle generator a sustainable source of energy?

While a candle generator can produce electricity, it is not considered a sustainable source of energy. This is because it relies on the burning of candles, which are made from non-renewable resources such as paraffin wax. Additionally, the efficiency of a candle generator is relatively low compared to other renewable energy sources like solar or wind power.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a candle generator?

There are some safety concerns with using a candle generator, as it involves the use of an open flame. It is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when operating a candle generator, such as keeping it away from flammable materials and never leaving it unattended. It is also important to properly dispose of used candles to prevent fire hazards.