Find the Right Book on Electromagnetic Radiation and Radio Communications

In summary, Nikoniko2000 is looking for a good book on electromagnetism, electromagnetic radiation, and radio communications. Suggestions for books on antennas, electromagnetics, and microwave engineering are given, including "Antennas and radiowave propagation" by Collin, "Engineering electromagnetics" by William H. Hayt, and "Field and wave electromagnetics" by David K. Cheng. Another recommended option is "Fields and waves in communication electronics" by Ramo, Whinnery, and Van Duzer. The importance of considering the level of the book, its content, and price is also mentioned.
niko2000
Hi,

I am completing the study of telecommunications. As I've lost some lecture notes and I like to keep references on my bookshelf I am looking for a good book about Electromagnetism, electromagnetic radiation and radio communications. From the comprehensive online offer it is not easy to pick a book just by reading description so I would really appreciate if anyone of you could suggest any title.

Thanks!

Niko

Physics news on Phys.org

niko2000

It depends upon what you mean by "radio communcation." Do you mean communication theory (modulation, coding, information, etc...), RF hardware / microwave engineering, wave propagation, all of these, or something else?

My favorite book on antennas is "Antennas and radiowave propagation" by Collin. It is out of print, but used copies can be found. He basically derives everything from first principles, sometimes multiple ways. The chapter on propagation is pretty good, too. But the book does assume you already have a good grasp of undergrad electromagnetics.

For electromagnetism, it really depends upon what you are looking for: basic level vs grad level, applied with lots of stuff on transmission lines and waveguides vs more fundamental physics, etc.

How much money you want to spend (and how happy you are with used copies of old editions - my favorite approach) also matters.

Jason

For electromagnetics:

1) William H. Hayt, Engineering electromagnetics (have articles for both undergraduate and post graduate courses)

2) David K. Cheng, Field and wave electromagnetics (chapters for both electromagnetics and microwave. Undergraduate only)

Mr.Green said:
For electromagnetics:

1) William H. Hayt, Engineering electromagnetics (have articles for both undergraduate and post graduate courses)

2) David K. Cheng, Field and wave electromagnetics (chapters for both electromagnetics and microwave. Undergraduate only)

Along those lines, since the OP is looking for a reference (as opposed to a great textbook suitable for self-study), I would recommend "Fields and waves in communication electronics" by Ramo, Whinnery and Van Duzer. The new 3rd edition has maybe 25 extra pages than the 2nd edition, so for a reference a used copy of the 2nd edition is what I would recommend.

1. What is electromagnetic radiation and how does it affect us?

Electromagnetic radiation refers to the waves of energy that are emitted by electrically charged particles. These waves can have a range of frequencies and can be found in different forms such as light, radio waves, and X-rays. Electromagnetic radiation can affect us in various ways depending on the frequency and intensity of the waves. For example, high-frequency radiation like X-rays can be harmful to our health while low-frequency radiation like radio waves are generally considered safe.

2. How do radio communications work?

Radio communications involve the use of radio waves to transmit information from one point to another. These radio waves are generated by a transmitter and then travel through the atmosphere to a receiver. The receiver then converts the waves back into the original information. The success of radio communications depends on various factors such as the frequency and power of the waves, the type of modulation used, and the presence of any obstacles that may interfere with the signal.

3. What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation can be categorized into different types based on their frequency and wavelength. The electromagnetic spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has its own unique properties and uses, ranging from communication to medical imaging to energy production.

4. How can I find the right book on electromagnetic radiation and radio communications?

There are many books available on the topic of electromagnetic radiation and radio communications, so it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. It is important to consider your level of knowledge and the specific area of interest within the subject. You can also read reviews and recommendations from other readers, or consult with a librarian or expert in the field for guidance.

5. What are some everyday applications of electromagnetic radiation and radio communications?

Electromagnetic radiation and radio communications have countless applications in our everyday lives. Some common examples include using mobile phones, watching TV, listening to the radio, using WiFi, and using medical equipment such as X-ray machines. These technologies rely on electromagnetic radiation and radio communications to function and have greatly improved our quality of life.