Number Base System: Solving the Radix/Base

In summary, the base is 13 in part (b) and either 9*8 or 72 will work in base 10 to convert the numbers.
tnutty

Homework Statement

This really isn't a calc question so forgive me.

Determine which base(radix) is used in the following operation :

a ) 1234 + 1234 + 1234 + 1234 = 11101
b ) 19 * 18 = 297

I know the answer to a but am not sure how to get it.
What I see is the for a) the answer has to be greater than base 4, and for b) it has
to be radix >=10.

Is there some tricks that could help me figure out what base is in general a expression is on?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a, yes, the base has to be larger than 4, so use the fact that 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 = base + 1 or maybe 2* base + 1. Check the addition in a few bases (probably not an even base), starting with 5.

For b, I agree that the base is probably larger than 10. Again try a few bases and see if you can find one for which 9 * 8 = base + 7. Since you're getting a unit's place of 7, it's probably not an even base.

For A its 5, but I can't seem to figure out part B.

This is what I got :

let "r" be the base.

(9*8)r = ?
-----------

r = x | result = y | (1|0)
-----------------
11 | 68 | 11 * 6 = 66, left over 2. False
13 | 57 | 13 * 4 = 52, left over 5, False

And it goes on.

What I did was 9*8 = 72. In base 10. Then divide 72 by different bases to see if it matched up.

wait is r = 13 correct?

Last edited:
tnutty said:
For A its 5, but I can't seem to figure out part B.

This is what I got :

let "r" be the base.

(9*8)r = ?
-----------

r = x | result = y | (1|0)
-----------------
11 | 68 | 11 * 6 = 66, left over 2. False
13 | 57 | 13 * 4 = 52, left over 5, False

And it goes on.

What I did was 9*8 = 72. In base 10. Then divide 72 by different bases to see if it matched up.

wait is r = 13 correct?

Yes, the radix is 13 in part (b). Can you show why?

--Elucidus

Keep in mind that the numbers in the product are in the same base as the answer, so what you have for b is 19r * 18r = 297r.

What I did was to make an educated guess as to the base, and then convert all three numbers into their base-10 equivalents and check the multiplication in that more familiar base.

Mark44 said:
Keep in mind that the numbers in the product are in the same base as the answer, so what you have for b is 19r * 18r = 297r.

What I did was to make an educated guess as to the base, and then convert all three numbers into their base-10 equivalents and check the multiplication in that more familiar base.

I was thinking of doing that as well.

Lets see :

19r * 18r = 297r

I know its not base 10, but from (base 10) 9*8 = 72
Now I can use this to convert into other base and check accordingly.

13*5 = 65;
72 - 65 = 7

So 7 is left over and even number of 13 is carried onto the next step. Ah, its just
like you said, look for "base + 7".

It would be nice if someone could offer alternative solution.

1. What is a number base system?

A number base system, also known as a radix or base, is a mathematical system used to represent numbers. It consists of a set of digits and rules for combining them to form numbers. The most common number base system is the decimal system, which uses 10 digits (0-9).

2. How do you convert a number from one base to another?

To convert a number from one base to another, you can use the method of repeated division or multiplication. For example, to convert a decimal number to a binary number, you can repeatedly divide the decimal number by 2 and write down the remainder until the quotient becomes 0. The binary number will be the remainders in reverse order.

3. What is the significance of the base in a number base system?

The base in a number base system determines the number of digits used and the value of each digit. For example, in the binary system (base 2), there are only two digits (0 and 1) and each digit represents a power of 2. In the hexadecimal system (base 16), there are 16 digits (0-9 and A-F) and each digit represents a power of 16.

4. What is the purpose of using different number base systems?

Different number base systems are used for different purposes. For example, the binary system is commonly used in computer programming because it can represent two states (on and off) using just two digits. The hexadecimal system is used in computer science to represent binary numbers in a more compact and readable form. The octal system (base 8) is used in some cultures for counting and has been used in ancient civilizations for measurement systems.

5. How do you solve equations involving different number base systems?

To solve equations involving different number base systems, you can convert all numbers to a common base and then perform the necessary operations. For example, if you have an equation with a number in base 3 and a number in base 5, you can convert both numbers to base 15 and then perform the operations. Alternatively, you can use conversion tables or calculators designed for different number base systems.