Graphing question: Reversal of x and y axis & effect on slope and y-intercept

In summary, when the x and y-axis are reversed, the y-intercept becomes (-Vi^2)/2a and the slope becomes 1/2a. The graph will still be linear, reflected along the y=x axis.
unigal13
Homework Statement

How does the slope and y-intercept change if you reverse the x and y-axis of a linear graph. Will the graph still be linear?

The original y=mx+b format followed the physics equation:
V^2 = 2a(d) + Vi^2

Therefore, when y was "V^2" while x was "d", the y-intercept was Vi^2 and the slope was equal to "2a".

What are the y-int and slope once the axis are reversed, and x is "V^2" and y is "d"?

The attempt at a solution

I'm sure this is quite simple, but for some reason I am stumped. I realize the new graph would still be linear, reflected along y=x.
I tried inserting the new x and y values into the equation, getting:
x = my + b

(x - b)/m = y

(v^2 - vi^2)/2a = d

so (v^2)(1/2a) - (vi^2)/2a = d

leaves the new equation in the form of mx + b = y

with m = 1/2a
and b = (-vi^2)/2a

Have I come to the correct solution?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one can confirm my work?

I would like to confirm that your solution is correct. When you reverse the x and y-axis, the slope and y-intercept will change accordingly. The new slope will be equal to 1/(2a) and the new y-intercept will be equal to -Vi^2/(2a). This means that the graph will still be linear, but it will be reflected along the line y=x. This is because the original equation and the new equation are equivalent, just with the variables switched.

What is the purpose of reversing the x and y axis in a graph?

Reversing the x and y axis is a visual technique used to emphasize the significance or relationship between the two variables being plotted. It can also help with data analysis and identifying any patterns or trends in the data.

How does reversing the x and y axis affect the slope of a line?

Reversing the x and y axis does not change the slope of a line. The slope is still calculated using rise over run, but the values for the x and y coordinates are simply switched. This means that the slope will have the same numerical value, but the line will appear to be steepening or flattening in a different direction.

Will reversing the x and y axis change the y-intercept of a line?

Yes, reversing the x and y axis will change the y-intercept of a line. The y-intercept is the point where the line intersects with the y-axis. When the x and y axis are reversed, the y-intercept will now be the point where the line intersects with the x-axis.

Can reversing the x and y axis affect the interpretation of data?

Yes, reversing the x and y axis can affect the interpretation of data. It can change the way the data is visually presented, which can alter how the data is perceived and understood. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the effects of reversing the x and y axis before using it in a graph.

Are there any limitations to using a graph with reversed x and y axis?

Yes, there are limitations to using a graph with reversed x and y axis. This technique may not be suitable for all types of data and can sometimes lead to misinterpretations. It is important to consider the purpose and context of the data before deciding to reverse the x and y axis in a graph.