Elastic Collision of Ball and Block

In summary, the problem involves a steel ball of mass 0.500 kg being released from a cord attached to a fixed point, colliding elastically with a 2.50 kg block at the bottom of its path. The speed of the ball and block after the collision was found to be -2.47 m/s and 1.23 m/s, respectively. To find the height the ball will rise after the collision, the conservation of energy principle was used and the result was found to be 0.592 m.
munchy35

Homework Statement

A steel ball of mass .500 kg is fastened to a cord that is .70 m long and fixed at the far end. The ball is then released when the cord is horizontal. At the bottom of the path, the ball strikes a 2.50 kg steel block initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The collision is elastic.

The first part was to find the speed of the ball and block after the collision.

The ball was -2.47 m/s

and

The block was 1.23 m/s

I'm having trouble finding the height the ball will rise after collision in terms of the angle to the vertical

Homework Equations

I used v1f = (m1 - m2 / m1 + m2) * v1i for the speed of the ball

and

v2f = (2mi/m1+m2) v1i for the speed of the block

for the angle of the height of the ball...

i'm guessing i might need to use a vector equation...tan-1 x = (ry/rx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already received the solution for the first part.

For the height,

I guess since v1= -2.47 m/s... don't know how to relate...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To find the height the ball will rise after the collision, we need to use the conservation of energy principle.

Initially, the ball has kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy while the block has no energy.

After the collision, both the ball and the block will have kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. Since the collision is elastic, the total energy before and after the collision must be the same.

Let's assume that the height the ball rises after the collision is h. Then, we can write the following equation:

mgh = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Mv^2

Where m is the mass of the ball, M is the mass of the block, v is the speed of both the ball and the block after the collision, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

We can rearrange this equation to solve for h:

h = (1/2)(m+M)v^2/mg

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

h = (1/2)(0.500+2.50)(1.23)^2/(0.500*9.8)

h = 0.592 m

Therefore, the ball will rise to a height of 0.592 m after the collision.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

I would first commend the student for their efforts in solving the problem using the correct equations for elastic collisions. I would also suggest that they double check their calculations to ensure they are using the correct values for mass and velocity.

To find the height the ball will rise after the collision, we can use the conservation of energy principle. The initial kinetic energy of the ball will be equal to the final potential energy of the ball at its highest point. We can also use the conservation of momentum principle to find the initial velocity of the ball after the collision.

Using the equation for conservation of energy, we have:

mgh = (1/2)mv^2

Where m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height the ball will reach, and v is the velocity of the ball at its highest point.

Using the equation for conservation of momentum, we have:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the ball and block, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the ball and block, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the ball and block after the collision.

We can rearrange the equation for conservation of momentum to solve for the initial velocity of the ball, v1i:

v1i = (m2v2i - m1v1f + m2v2f) / m1

Now we can substitute this value for v1i into the equation for conservation of energy and solve for h:

mgh = (1/2)m((m2v2i - m1v1f + m2v2f) / m1)^2

Solving for h, we get:

h = ((m2v2i - m1v1f + m2v2f) / m1)^2 / (2g)

Once we have the value for h, we can use trigonometric functions to find the height in terms of the angle to the vertical. We can use the tangent function:

tanθ = h / x

Where θ is the angle to the vertical and x is the horizontal distance from the point of collision to the highest point of the ball's trajectory.

I would also suggest that the student double check their equations and calculations to ensure they are using the

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. In other words, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved before and after the collision.

2. How is the collision between a ball and a block considered elastic?

The collision between a ball and a block is considered elastic because there is no permanent deformation or loss of kinetic energy during the collision. The objects involved bounce off each other without any change in their velocities.

3. What factors determine the outcome of an elastic collision between a ball and a block?

The outcome of an elastic collision between a ball and a block is determined by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. In an ideal scenario, the objects will bounce off each other with the same speed and opposite direction.

4. How is elastic collision different from inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. In an inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together after the collision, whereas in an elastic collision, they bounce off each other.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. The mass of an object determines its inertia, which affects the amount of force it can exert on another object during a collision. In an elastic collision, the objects will bounce off each other with the same speed and opposite direction regardless of their masses.