Transmission Bandwith though space

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of transmitting information through space, particularly in regards to astrophysics. The Interstellar Medium (ISM) and random filaments of plasma can cause bandwidth to spread out and limit the range of transmission. However, there are ways to optimize radio beacons and potentially use the Sun's gravitational focus to boost a signal for interstellar communication. The conversation also mentions the potential for a larger powerful laser to do the job, but expresses concern about the involvement of human governments in a first contact situation.
DarkStar707
I have a very little understanding of astrophysics. I wanted to know what kind of transmission bandwidth can travel through space without dissipating.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
DarkStar707 said:
I have a very little understanding of astrophysics. I wanted to know what kind of transmission bandwidth can travel through space without dissipating.

Bandwidth gets spread out to a few Hz by the Interstellar Medium (ISM) and signals can "twinkle"/scintillate because of the random filaments of plasma that criss-cross the ISM too. Thus range is limited to ~1,000 ly or so unless the signal is very powerful and the antenna large. Arecibo, at 305 metres across, can communicate across half the Galaxy with another Arecibo if the transmission power is 100 MW - if it had a clear line of sight. But there's a lot of crud between here and there...

Some good articles on the question of radio range...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/faq/part6/section-12.html"

...demonstrates that ETIs aren't going to be watching our TV or listening to AM/FM unless They're Here.

http://www.setileague.org/articles/range.htm"

...surprisingly short range for certain antenna assumptions.

There's also a range calculator online...

http://www.satsig.net/seticalc.htm"

...which is fun to play with, but don't believe really BIG ranges for silly inputs.

Realistically optimised radio beacons that say "We're Here!" can be implemented for relatively low costs over long periods, but it's a real effort to squirt lots and lots of data between the stars if you're signalling from a planet.

There is a potentially immensely more powerful way of signalling between the stars via radio or laser, but you need to be a bit further out from the Sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
So perhaps a larger powerful laser could do the job depending if you could relay them off satellites.

I know other people are involved in trying to communicate. I worry that a first contact situation would be ruined because of the wrong people on this end.

DarkStar707 said:
So perhaps a larger powerful laser could do the job depending if you could relay them off satellites.

I know other people are involved in trying to communicate. I worry that a first contact situation would be ruined because of the wrong people on this end.

Ruined in what way?

What I was referring to was using the Sun's gravitational focus to boost a signal. Theoretically one can communicate to other galaxies using that natural amplification effect. I suspect that will be where ETIs will put their communications systems for interstellar data-exchange.

Well Mainly the thought of human governments making first contact. I just hope i'ts open minded scientists who have the first open diolog

What is transmission bandwidth through space?

Transmission bandwidth through space refers to the capacity of a communication channel to transmit data over a specific distance. It is a measure of how much data can be transmitted in a given amount of time.

How is transmission bandwidth through space measured?

Transmission bandwidth through space is typically measured in bits per second (bps). This unit of measurement represents the number of bits that can be transmitted in one second.

What factors affect transmission bandwidth through space?

There are several factors that can affect transmission bandwidth through space, including the frequency of the signal, atmospheric conditions, and interference from other sources. Higher frequencies generally have higher bandwidth, but they are also more susceptible to interference.

What is the relationship between transmission bandwidth and data transfer rate?

The transmission bandwidth directly affects the data transfer rate, as a higher bandwidth allows for more data to be transferred in a given amount of time. However, other factors such as latency and channel efficiency can also impact the data transfer rate.

How is transmission bandwidth through space used in practical applications?

Transmission bandwidth through space is used in a variety of practical applications, such as satellite communication, wireless internet, and radio transmission. It is essential for transferring large amounts of data quickly and efficiently over long distances.